SportsCrafters Overdrive vs. InsideRide E-Motion Rollers

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Has anyone directly compared these two? Which would you choose?

Budget is under $500, so I'm looking at tracking down a used set of E-Motions, or buying the Overdrives. I've tried four different sets of rollers in the last 1.5 years, looking for the right combination of ride quality and sufficient resistance. Safety features on the E-Motions (bumpers and bar) are not a factor for me, I am comfortable riding on rollers.

I already have a Kurt Road Machine, but enjoy the rollers more. Ideally I would like to be able to do some of my Z4 (FTP, not high) workouts on the rollers. Last winter I used Kreitler 3.0 rollers custom fitted with a Minoura mag unit (insufficient resistance), am currently using Minoura Mag Rollers w/mag unit (good resistance but not as smooth).

TruTrainers are unfortunately beyond my budget. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Herb5998

by Herb5998

I've got e-Motion Rollers, an older version, but it has 4 levels of resistance (0-3), plenty of resistance for Z4 work, and I find the resistance fairly progressive and close to road feel

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

I have a set of overdrive rollers. I love mine. Sportcrafters produce very high quality products. The drums are machined perfectly. They disappear beneath you. The resistance mechanism is quiet, transparent and completely adequate. I use mine for thershold and vo2 work. They handle 400+ watts with no problem and gears to spare.

Plus, the company is great. Lifetime warranty and good service.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Thanks for the comments and confirming that the Overdrives have sufficient resistance. I'm not having any luck finding a set of E-motions locally used, so it is looking like the Overdrives for me.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

FWIW, I have a set of SportCrafter rollers for which I built a floating platform ala e-Motion based on some of the DIY posts on the web. I'm not a particularly handy guy, and they went together pretty well. My roller sit on the platform w/out any mods to the rollers themselves.

When I bought the rollers I got the Sportcrafters add-on mag resistance unit which easily bolted onto the rear drum spindle; worked nicely for me.

I decided to go all out, and just bought the Sportcrafters resistance drum and their inertia drum too. So while this isn't the classifieds thread, I do have two regular drums and the mag resistance unit I'd sell. The resistance unit fits the CyclOps rollers as well (made by Sportcrafters). PM me if interested.