Thread of Food Recipes

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'm hungry.
What do we have to eat?

In all seriousness: the "holidays" are coming up and I'm staring at a calendar with 6 different parties, 5 of them are potluck style. Only one of them is with friends that I would consider "athletic-minded" or even cyclists for that matter. Regardless, I don't want to go to parties and come back chock full of things that aren't that great for me. I also don't want to be the guy who goes to a party bringing a plate of raw vegetables and hummus.

Surely there are some good recipes out there among fellow WeightWeenies for delicious snacks/meals/deserts/anything that a person can cook up and share with other folks? At the very least, you'll have something to take to your party and eat yourself if the other items aren't so good for you. This thread might be useful year round, not just for the "holidays."

Anyone? :D
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

sungod

by sungod

my easy low-fat chicken curry...

2 onions, chopped
3 cardamon pods
1 heaped tsp cumin seeds (ordinary, not black cumin)
2 sq cm piece of cinnamon (the proper stuff, not the fake type that is actually cassia)

in a saucepan, add the above to a little olive oil, 1-2 tbsp is plenty, fry until onions just start browning

then add...

2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped

fry for a couple more minutes, then add...

5-6 chopped chillis, including seeds
500g chicken breast, in bite-sized chunks
1 heaped tsp tumeric
1 heaped tsp garam masala

stir until chicken lightly seared all over (don't brown the chicken)

then add a 400g can of chopped tomatos in natural juice (not the type with added sugar etc.), plus the half that amount of water

add a couple of curry leaves, break them up first

stir, bring to boil, lower heat, cover and allow to simmer very gently for a couple of hours

before serving remove cinnamon and cardamon pods

serve with rice

to garnish, finely chop a naga* chili, sprinkle over curry once it is on the plate

eat

the above quantity feeds two if you are a greedy guts like me

multiply quantities for more servings but avoid using much more cinnamon as it becomes overpowering

personally i don't find it needs salt, but my girlriend disagrees

if you don't have the spices: beware supermarkets, they will sell tiny quantities at many times the cost you'd pay in an asian grocers, at least in the uk the exception seems to be "east end" brand spices which are in big bags, cheap, and usually not displayed next to the rip-off spice rack (try looking near the curry sauces)

* this is what the chap in the local bangladeshi shop calls them, they look like wrinkly mini-peppers, hot but fragrant, not to be confused with the naga that is the seriously hot one

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I think you can put pretty much anything in a crock pot, and as long as you let it cook slow, it comes out great. You could also take all the things that you think they might eat and just make good options from them.

You could do roasted root veggies, sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and rosemary, drizzle with olive oil.

Then take the last curry chicken recipe, or another lean meat and enjoy.

On the other hand, you could do like I do and just pack all of it and sit down with everyone, they have come to expect it now!

Big salads work well also.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

voodoojar

by voodoojar

i make fake mashed potatoes out of cauliflower. They are pretty good.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I like actual mashed potatoes, but local style, so it's mostly potatoes -- carbohydrates. Don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Edit: there's nothing wrong with cauliflower though, and I love the way broccoli is made to be the most disgusting thing for kids ever in US sitcoms. Self fulfilling prophecy.
Last edited by HillRPete on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

LouisN

by LouisN

Prend,

After the "tillquist's kitchen" thread, I really thought about starting one, but don't have time to really contribute substantially...

I personnally make some home made "Cliff bars", and I'm also a fan of home made nougat (sometimes with added whey isolate powder), to carry on rides.

Here's one link for your holiday appetite.

http://www.saveursdumonde.net/tradition ... s-de-noel/

My favourite site year round.

http://www.saveursdumonde.net/

Sorry folks, it's in french, I know PF handles the "langue de Molière" pretty well though...;)

Louis :)

EDIT: I found the english version, and there's a new addition to a lot of the receipes, it's the calories count, for the weight and energy conscious...an example of one the greatest chefs, near PF's backyard:
http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/gran ... ex/laundry

voodoojar

by voodoojar

wassertreter wrote:I like actual mashed potatoes, but local style, so it's mostly potatoes -- carbohydrates. Don't think there's anything wrong with that.

haha you're right. I cook for the kids alot and they dont eat veggies so anything to trick them.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That's an excellent book recommendation.

I like where this thread is going, I think it would be an excellent place to try out some recipes from fellow athletes that are not in that book. Since this is an international forum, I'm keen on seeing what folks bring from their own cultures.

I'll post a few Persian recipes modified for sport as soon as I figure out what exactly I do (I've done it too many times that I don't really remember each 'step' or measurement right now)

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Nobody should eat healthy all the time, it's bad for the soul not to sometimes enjoy the bad stuff. So with that in mind and to those that don't live in the Southwest here's the greatest food ever invented. The Sonoran hotdog.

Take a beef hotdog and completely wrap it in mesquite bacon and fry it. (deep frying it is ok as well.)

Once the bacon is crispy, cut open a bolillo roll and put the dog and bacon inside.

put on mayonaise(thinned slightly with lime or lemon juice.), ketchup, mustard, pinto beans, cotijo cheese and then top with sliced jalapenos, tomatoes and onions.

bJay

by bJay

what if you're a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket like myself and are vegetarian...? :noidea:

B
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've had them with tofu dogs and tofu bacon. Not exactly the same, but gives a pretty good similarity.

roca rule

by roca rule

Here is my favorite recipe
Recipe for alambres (fajitas)
Bacon
Carne ranchera in strips
bell pepper
Onions
Chile poblano (the type that they use to stuff in Mexican recipes)
And Oaxaca cheese (mozzarella might do)
preparation
Dice the Chile, onions and bell pepper
Cut the bacon in small squares
Lightly oil a large iron skillet start cooking the bacon
When the bacon has released most of its fat throw in the meat
When the meat is almost done
throw in the vegetables
Cook until the onions soften
take of from the stove
And put the shredded cheese on and cover with some aluminum foil. This is delicious in tacos (soft tortilla)
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

bJay wrote:what if you're a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket like myself and are vegetarian...? :noidea:

B

This is Vegan, but good enough. I made it a few times over the summer (which is now, for you, if you're back in the Southern Hemisphere):

"Vegan Option" Cashew Chicken Salad
16 ounces romaine hearts and/or salad greens
¼ cup cashews
2 roma tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 avocado, sliced
1 cup sliced carrots (optional: saute)
4 ounces vegan chicken strips, sauteed in a small amount of oil
2 tablespoons ginger miso dressing (optional: homemade dressing)
I love a slightly warm salad. Toss all of the room temperature ingredients and then add the chicken and carrots, if sauteed. For the vegan/vegetarian you can put in faux-chicken (tofu or satan) instead of the meat.

Servings -1
Calories - 825
Calorie breakdown- Carbohydrate 33%, Protein 15%, Fat 52%
Carbohydrate - 63g
Protein - 29g
Fat - 45g
Fiber- 25g
Iron- 10.2g, 57%, Calcium- 343g, 34%, Vitamin C- 80mg, 148%, Vitamin A- 500+%
Last edited by prendrefeu on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

veganeric

by veganeric

That sounds delicious!

Madcow, I realize as a long time vegan I'm probably not supposed to admit this, but fake bacon is NASTY! There are a lot of fake meats that are perfectly acceptable facsimiles of the original, many are even better, but bacon is not among them.

I realize this isn't a recipe, per say, but I have found a rice cooker with a steamer is fantastic for a lazy (food wise) cyclist like myself. Put some [wild] rice in the bottom portion and a mixture of veggies in the steamer part, flip the switch, and in a half hour or so you've got a delicious, healthy meal.