New to power training, help a just upgraded cat 3?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

davidalone

by davidalone

So I just upgraded from racing the cat4/5s (equivalent in my area, not exactly the same thing) last year after getting a lucky win that looked more impressive than it really was. Now I'm effectively racing with the Cat3/2 ( there are only really 3 cats in my region, they don't divide them up into 5 categories like in the US).

and well to be frank I'm getting my ass handed to me.
I also recently got a powermeter and I've read allens book so I know the basics and have spent most of this season playing around with power training and testing.
some background: I'm a relatively light guy (67-68 kg, (150 pounds) depending on on or off season weight) at 1.78m tall. My FTP w/kg is decent for the level of competition around me ( i've asked and scouted around) at 3.5w/kg . 5 min power is 4.2w/kg. Unfortunately my sprint and 1 min power REALLY SUCK ( in the 'fair' level of coggans power profiling chart)
CdA from field testing is not bad, about 0.32

Races in my region are all pancake flat and it usually comes down to watts/CdA- lots of big guys who can pump out big watts (but also weigh 20 kilos heavier than me) so they tend to dominate here. if you get dropped off the back it's hard to get back.

so I know I've got to work on both upping my FTP to try to go with the bigger guys, but I've also got to work on my short duration bursts of speed- how do I work on both at the same time?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ITTY

by ITTY

The simple answer is to target FTP on some training rides, and target shorter intervals on other training rides. I suggest that you work on VO2max type intervals, or some HIIT, rather than just focusing on your sprint. It's pretty tough to get a whole lot better at sprinting as it has been shown to be fairly "inborn".

Personally (at this time of year), I'm doing long intervals on Tuesdays (3x15 @FTP on the TT bike), shorter intervals on Thursdays (something like 5x5 @VO2max), and the HIIT kinda happens naturally on the weekends from cross races.

Also, with a w/kg profile like yours, you could probably improve signifcantly by just riding more (this works up to a certain level of competition), although it won't be as effective as a well thought out training plan.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

rothwem

by rothwem

davidalone wrote:So I just upgraded from racing the cat4/5s (equivalent in my area, not exactly the same thing) last year after getting a lucky win that looked more impressive than it really was. Now I'm effectively racing with the Cat3/2 ( there are only really 3 cats in my region, they don't divide them up into 5 categories like in the US).

and well to be frank I'm getting my ass handed to me.
I also recently got a powermeter and I've read allens book so I know the basics and have spent most of this season playing around with power training and testing.
some background: I'm a relatively light guy (67-68 kg, (150 pounds) depending on on or off season weight) at 1.78m tall. My FTP w/kg is decent for the level of competition around me ( i've asked and scouted around) at 3.5w/kg . 5 min power is 4.2w/kg. Unfortunately my sprint and 1 min power REALLY SUCK ( in the 'fair' level of coggans power profiling chart)
CdA from field testing is not bad, about 0.32

Races in my region are all pancake flat and it usually comes down to watts/CdA- lots of big guys who can pump out big watts (but also weigh 20 kilos heavier than me) so they tend to dominate here. if you get dropped off the back it's hard to get back.

so I know I've got to work on both upping my FTP to try to go with the bigger guys, but I've also got to work on my short duration bursts of speed- how do I work on both at the same time?

Are you getting dropped towards the end or towards the beginning of the race?

If its the beginning, then you're right--your lack of short range power is getting you down.

However, if you're getting dumped as the pace spools up at the end, your issue is FTP and overall training volume. The FTP improves the problem because you spend less time over your threshold, so you're less tired at the end. I also thought this was an interesting article about the training volume content. http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/03/training-center/on-the-bike/improve-your-ability-to-go-hard-after-hours-of-racing_318783

droid1973

by droid1973

Season has just started
How are you doing?