Tips on rolling starts ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

IRideBikes10

by IRideBikes10

I have had a couple of bad rolling starts so as crashing, and getting dropped. I had a little alleycat race last Saturday and it was a rolling start so right away I start to slow down because every one else is sprinting to get in front of the group. Any tips on doing any kind of traning to get me used to rolling starts? :? :up:

PJCM

by PJCM

Key is to improve your sprinting so that you can go with the surge and get into a good position with some energy in reserve. Being properly warmed up is important as is following the right wheel to conserve energy and get you a good spot in the bunch.

Practising your sprinting will help but tactical positioning is just as important. Choose the riders you want to stick with and defend that wheel until the surge settles. Gaps are an invitation for others to slot in front of you, so stay as tight as you can and hold your line.

As for training, I would suggest sets of sprints at 90% intensity followed by 1-2 minutes seated at 80% intensity. That will accustom your body to sustained effort after a jolt of lactate. Some "over under" intervals will also help you become more proficient at changes in pace.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Also try full sprint for 30seconds then hold 65% of FTP for 4:30 then repeat (trick is to not go too low after the 30s burst)....this sounds easy but is very hard.
Seriously tho?....3 key pieces of advice come first:
1. start at the front.
2. start at the front.
3. start at the front.
......preferably behind the biggest dude you can find that has great bike handling skills, never gets dropped and is a smooth rider. KNOW YOUR COMPETITION.
Best wishes.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

IRideBikes10

by IRideBikes10

Thanks guys I really appricate it! I'll have to start doing these this week for my training days. Have a race tonight and not sure it's going to be rolling start but you never know. Stay in front is the key. There's going to be really sharp turns and 1 straight away so hopefully I can stick with the breakaway. Thank you once again! :)