CX training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ms6073

by ms6073

While higher FTP is helpful, the ability to maintain the constant hi/lo efforts, especially when a course consists of a lot of grass, sand, and/or mud. Combine all 3 and you will burn all the matches very quickly. 2x20s at threshold would have been good 4-6 weeks ago but at this point, most in the more Northern locations in the US any are already racing so this would probably not help recovery efforts. A good mix of FTP stressing workouts coupled with skills drills for as a form of recovery would help improve both FTP and bike skills. Also, as already stated, the shorter duration, high intensity efforts coupled with super short recovery times (this is like Tabata sprint intervals for runners) will go a long way towards acclimating to the short, hard efforts experienced during cross races.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jbernard

by jbernard

I have made out a draft plan which will consist of 2 days of FTP type intervals such as 2x20's, 2 days of shorter intervals and skills like 30/30/30's and 3-5 min VO2 type intervals on the CX bike, and a long ride. Another day will be either race, or if not race week possibly another longer ride at Tempo or some SST. First race is not for another 3 weeks, then its full on with races every week up to the middle of December. Then Nationals in January. What do you think ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

My thoughts are it,s too much

jbernard

by jbernard

I didnt think it would be too much ?

Although my previous post might be misleading, I only do my 2x20's, 1x40 type intervals at about 90% and not right at threshold, so would you still say that it is too much ? I reckon I could do these day after day as they seem a lot less stressful than doing them right at FTP.

What would you cut ?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

jbernard wrote:I didnt think it would be too much ?

Although my previous post might be misleading, I only do my 2x20's, 1x40 type intervals at about 90% and not right at threshold, so would you still say that it is too much ? I reckon I could do these day after day as they seem a lot less stressful than doing them right at FTP.

What would you cut ?

i mean you just listed 5 days of intervals and 1 day of racing for a training week....

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Just take out one of those interval sessions every week and add another rest day or active recovery (for cx I would say skills day).

Training=stress + recovery

5 days of work and a race each week leaves no time for your body to recover. If you find the volume lacking with two rest days add in extra zone 2 after one of the interval sessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devinci

by devinci

what others said. 4 days of efforts is just too much in my opinion, unless you're in the middle of a hard training block. There needs to be a certain progression into those sort of days.

Do not underestimate the power of Z2 rides, even if they're shorter. I'd cut one days of 2x20 and make it a Z2 ride and perhaps make the other 2x20 a real hard one. I'd keep 1 high intensity workout in there, not sure about 2, especially if you're racing.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

It pays to be fresh for the race in CX. It also pays to have good technique.