ANT+ compatible replacement for Garmin heart rate strap

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

After finally killing the HR strap that came with my 705 (and having a short and very underwhelming run with a Premium Garmin HR strap - died in less than a year), I need a replacement.

Anyone tried a PRO SCIO W4.1

http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycli ... tic-strap/

otherwise looking like I'll go a Suunto.

Razor

by Razor

I replaced my Garmin strap with the Polar Soft Strap. There are rubber grommets around the contact points that you have to cut down flush with the contact points in order for the Garmin HR transmitter to snap in. No problems so far, been about 4 months.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Razor wrote:I replaced my Garmin strap with the Polar Soft Strap. There are rubber grommets around the contact points that you have to cut down flush with the contact points in order for the Garmin HR transmitter to snap in. No problems so far, been about 4 months.

x ∞

kode54

by kode54

i replaced my Garmin strap with a CycleOps HR one. most of the HR straps are very similar is size.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Razor wrote:I replaced my Garmin strap with the Polar Soft Strap. There are rubber grommets around the contact points that you have to cut down flush with the contact points in order for the Garmin HR transmitter to snap in. No problems so far, been about 4 months.

To be explicit, I have the older one that came with the 705. Ie

http://www.wigglestatic.com/images/garmin-hrm-zoom.jpg

The Premium one was thrown out, as it didn't work any more. So counts out using any part of that as a hybrid with a Polar strap.

Razor

by Razor

Tinea Pedis wrote:

To be explicit, I have the older one that came with the 705. Ie

http://www.wigglestatic.com/images/garmin-hrm-zoom.jpg

The Premium one was thrown out, as it didn't work any more. So counts out using any part of that as a hybrid with a Polar strap.

Wouldn't the 705 still receive the same HR signal as say the Edge 500? If so, maybe you could just get the 500 HR transmitter and strap. :noidea:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

:doh:

Yes, that's precisely my question. What ant+ compatible heart rate strap have people found to work well - comfort, longevity and function wise.

Sorry, I thought that was clear in the opening post...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vdrey

by vdrey

I use this Motorola one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K0PFEU/re ... us?ie=UTF8

It has worked well for me so far.

Also, it is quite comfortable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Per twitter, I am using a Cyclops strap however I am using the Garmin pod with it as the Cyclops HRM died after some 400hrs. The Garmin pod clipped straight on.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Using my powertap one.
Exceptionally long battery life and comfortable.

It must be good; its outseen 4 lots of hub internals :?
Official cafe stop tester

LionelB

by LionelB

Also using the cycleops one. Been OK.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

24 months with a premium one and still going, I wash it after every ride tho.
Using Tapatalk

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I switched to mio link as well. Seems to work alright. Less 200bpm spikes anyway.

by 11.4

The Garmin Premium transmitter unit lasts forever but needs to be removed and washed every time, and dried before snapping back together. It's like the old Polar one, in that it is well-built but ultimately dies from corrosion if you aren't meticulous with it.

I'm mostly using the second-tier Garmin transmitter, the one with the broad plastic strip and the little heart-shaped connectors on each side. No snaps, sensors are all integrated into the plastic strip, and I'm at six years on one and never had a problem. A few people find them uncomfortable, but thats actually pretty rare. Most of my team is on them now and they are simply a wear-and-forget. Great product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com