Headunit for PM without GPS?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

I'm about to get a new Powermeter and looking for a headunit.

But since I have no use for a GPS on my bike whatsoever and to my knowledge
a barometer altimeter is more accurate than a GPS one I want to know
if it is possible to turn the GPS function off in devices like the
garmin 500 or navi2coach without losing altimeter or gradient function?
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

eurperg

by eurperg

Barometric altimeter data always overrides GPS altitude data in any device that has a barometric altimeter. In Navi2Coach, it's possible to record a ride without GPS, but I'm not sure if this disables the altimeter also, because the feature is meant for indoor trainer use...

On the other hand, Strava only supports barometric altimeter data from Garmin brand devices. So if you upload a Navi2Coach activity with accurate altimeter data, the data gets discarded and is replaced with horrible GPS guess data. How stupid, but they have not done anything to fix it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

After a lot of searching I can only find that the SRM headunit is the only option if
you don't want all the GPS drawbacks (that many accept since they do use the map functions).

I'll wait for SRM 8. It has all the altitude, gradient, watt functions I need. Hopefully SRM
comes up with a software that has some calendar functions that allows you to get a
easier monthly/yearly overview as well.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Wahoo fitness has an iPhone based head unit that accepts ant+ signals... I know you can customize the display to use the cadence/speed unit, but I don't know that you can turn off GPS altogether. It also has an altimeter, but honestly I don't know how accurate as it varies 3% during climbs. Old srm units should be cheap, no?

You can turn off the location services to the wahoo app and it'll still run. I don't know if it'll save a chart of speed data though.

Geoff

by Geoff

PC7!

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

incline/gradient? (on 7)

LloydP

by LloydP

I think at least one of the o-synce 'x' head units might fit the bill

glepore

by glepore

I have the yahoo rflkt+. It has real potential, but is finicky-it depends on the iphone for data storage and mine sometimes loses communication if my jersey shifts so that the right side pocket moves towards center, thus losing pm data like avg and norm power. However, the form factor is low, the price is right, and it serves as an ant bridge so you can use either bluetooth or ant sensors (personally prefer bluetooth, as you can get the scoche units cheap on ebay-they're the same as wahoo's). If you carry an iphone anyway, its a nice solution.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com