Fractured head of radius (elbow)

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

liam7020

by liam7020

That's bad luck guy. How'd it happen, don't think you mentioned? Race crash? Cobbles?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Tied tentative weight bearing yesterday, still too sore to allow that. Hoping to head to the Alps on the 11th for a couple of weeks, to get some sort of form back. Hoping I'm healed enough by then...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Is pain closer to the wrist also normal? Especially when trying to supinate?

One week in and it's starting to p!ss me off

Gem

by Gem

I fractured my radial head five weeks ago as a result of going over the bars and landing with a straight arm, apparently it isn't always your collarbone that gives...

Initially I wasn't sure it was broken so gave it 24 hours before taking a trip to A&E, following X-Rays they sent me away with a sling and some co dydramol. After a bit of googling I realised that trying to get a decent range of motion back in my arm as soon as possible was a wise idea and came across this protocol: http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/lea ... alhead.pdf. I tried to ride my bike four days after the accident and realised it wasn't going to happen, I couldn't straighten the arm nor could my elbow bare weight, this also precluded me from riding a turbo. I was off painkillers in four days and out of the sling in two, I used pain in supination and extension as a limiter to my activities.

I went too far with the rehab on a couple of occasions, too much of the Gripmaster, which led to moderate pain from the elbow and I've had referred issues in both my wrist and shoulder. My first ride on the road took place 14 days after the accident but I couldn't stand up out of the saddle to ride until three weeks after the accident and even then I was tentative.

It's now almost six weeks since the break and I'm going racing for the first time since the accident this evening. The elbow still feels weak in certain orientations but the fracture clinic gave me the all-clear last week, I've regained 100% mobility in the joint.

If I could suggest one thing based on my experience then get the arm moving as soon as possible, even if it's uncomfortable. By way of caveat I'm not a medical professional and your situation will be completely different to mine. I hope it heals quickly.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I was a little ahead of you, so bit further down the healing path.

Was back racing just on 5 weeks. ROM still an issue, particularly straightening the arm fully. And still some mild pain. But (trust me) I'd still take this over another broken clavicle.

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

good to hear you're back racing. Keep working on your ROM, I probably stopped PT a little sooner than I should and don't quite have full ROM because of it. It used to consist of me face up on the table with my upper arm supported by the edge, elbow just hanging off, and then the therapist pushing down on the lower arm trying to get it to extend all the way. I like to think I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but that was intense. Now, it will seem to get tight from overuse or even as the weather changes and my ROM shortens up.

Gem

by Gem

Tinea Pedis wrote:I was a little ahead of you, so bit further down the healing path.

Was back racing just on 5 weeks. ROM still an issue, particularly straightening the arm fully. And still some mild pain. But (trust me) I'd still take this over another broken clavicle.

Good to hear, best of luck with the racing.