NP v's Average Power

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmorgan

by jmorgan

Veloclinics

"holy grail of holy grails of dynamic adaptive power duration modelling"

p(t) = (w1start - integral: w1used*exp(-(t-u)/tau1a)) + integral: w1used*exp(-(t-u)/tau1b)) - integral: w2unused*exp(-(t-u)/tau1c)))/(t+tau1) + (w2start - integral: w2used*exp(-(t-u)/tau2a)) + integral: w2used*exp(-(t-u)/tau2b)) - integral: w2unused*exp(-(t-u)/tau2c)))/(t+tau2)

Just a little bit more complex than NP.
2012 Cervelo S5 Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Looks like that is a more sophisticated equation to match CP values... which is nice, but NP needs to model the *effect* of variable efforts which is something very different.
formerly rruff...

Rick

by Rick

I am still all for greater accuracy; but I am still also wondering exactly what to do with that more accurate number. Why is it so important ?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Why have a PM at all? Most people use TSS (which requires an accurate NP) to track their training load and time base, build, rest, and peak periods.

Also it is very valuable for evaluating race performance and strategy. With a poor model it is impossible to draw conclusions... like was my power output during this race really high or low compared to prior efforts? Did I lose too much during those attacks or not? In a MTB race, did you just go too hard on the steep climbs or was the overall pace too high?

*I* wouldn't use it for pacing during a race, because I'd rather be focused on physical sensations and the task at hand. But if you aren't distracted by numbers, you could use it for that.
formerly rruff...

Rick

by Rick

Fair enough. A more accurate number is always better than a less accurate number.