Track cycling for old guys???

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

skiezo

by skiezo

So, I was visiting my son in collage and saw a semi local track was having a "try the track" weekend. So, what the heck I thought.
I was probably the oldest there by 15 or so years. But, I still had a blast and learned alot about the different types of disciplines.
It was a great learning experience and may be something I would like to keep at.
There is an outdoor velodrome about 1 hour from my house and I will be there this spring/summer trying my hand at that track.
So is there any suggestions for an older guy that would like to pursue something like this or am I out of my mind?
Let me hear some of your experiences with track cycling in your more senior years.
I am an avid road guy who logs 2500 to 4000 miles a year on a few bikes plus a gravel road bike that I am riding.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Track cycling as a masters age cyclist?

Some inspiration:-
http://www.cyclingmasters.com/site/records
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

Never too old! We race grades here so if the same at your local track you will be racing against others of a similar ability and not by age.

Not sure your definition of senior, but at racing last Tuesday night was a couple of guys around 70 years old still racing D grade and at the pointy end of the field...

So join the local club, ask those racing lots of questions, do some more introductory track sessions, get your licence and race!

c50jim

by c50jim

I raced at our local track for about five years in my late 50s. I only raced above C a couple of times but had a lot of fun with it. I remember doing points races and leading out kids for the first couple of sprints, then looking back on the third sprint and realizing the kid was gone and I was on my own. Our local track has a good sporting and supportive atmosphere. Race as hard as you like. I quite because of a road crash that kept me off the bike for a year and I didn't want to risk another concussion.

by 11.4

Masters' Nationals this year is at Marymoor Velodrome in Seattle, Washington. August 19-24. Perfect vacation time, nice big shallow 400 meter track that's easy to race. Not at all technical. If you are a USAC member and you are the right age, you can race Masters. At least come out and try the solo events. Big discounts on good hotels right by the track, walk to great bike shops and other shopping, and spend time talking with the best Masters track riders in the country if you aren't actually competing. The weather is great, the park is dog friendly, and Seattle is a great destination for the family. You may not be thinking about it right now, but it's a perfect time to get out of the sweltering heat in the south and enjoy decent weather with full sun. A lot of top Masters track racers have migrated over from the road or cross, so it's absolutely a great opportunity to race with fewer demands on your time and a much more civilized and social approach to training and racing. Check the velodrome out at www.velodrome.org.

skiezo

by skiezo

Well, I did register for 18 sessions at my local track for this coming season. I have only ever ridden on a track twice before but it was fun. There will be some experienced riders in the sessions to help and give pointers and advice. Plus it gives me a season pass to the all the races at the track this season. So we will see how it goes. At the present time I am not looking to compete but just hoping I will have a good time at something that is new to me.
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.

mrfish

by mrfish

The crucible of track racing will definitely sharpen up your all-round riding.

- You will practice sprinting much more; how far you can sprint, how to start the sprint, who to follow... all become second nature
- Race tactics around when / how to attack / positioning will get better as you get the chance to make 10 years worth of road racing mistakes in 1 track league season
- You will get better at the sort of short hard repeat efforts which are difficult to replicate in training
- You will get to know yourself and find out what you're better at than other similar riders
- Both ends of your pedalling will improve, high torque low cadence, souplesse / speed
- Bunch riding and bike handling will get better
- You can justify another bike (or 2) and a whole new set of tools

Best way to do it is to find a mentor who can watch you race then ask you the right questions. This helps you make progress. On the downside it's unlikely to help your hillclimbing.

drchull

by drchull

1. Do it.
2. Buy a good saddle, G-forces killer on prostate for old guys.
3. Track guys oversell the value of track, road guys oversell the value of road and MTB guys are dirty. If you enjoy it do it and don't look back.

skiezo

by skiezo

Thanks guys, I am looking forward to trying this out soon. I do think that it will help me in the long haul. I am also in a mid life crisis so I am thinking this will be a good way to help me through without harming others and being faithful to those I care about.
I will let ya all know how it goes in a month or so once it starts.

Thanks Brian

drchull

by drchull

Bikes are cheaper than sports cars (usually) and mistresses (and divorces).
Enjoy

Geoff

by Geoff

As C50jim says, many tracks have Masters categories that are very active. You certainly won't be alone. One great thing is that the tech hasn't really changed that much. I am still riding the last Team bike I had from when I was racing. While the road bike (7-speed, C-Record, Columbus SLX, etc.) is hopelessly out-dated, the track bike is still just fine!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com