Peak power lost in the offseason

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I started seriously training and racing for the first time in 2013. I've used a PM (Quarq) the entire time and now that I'm in the middle of the offseason I'm noticing my sprint power is down around 150w, peak and 5 sec. Is this pretty typical? I, again, have zero reference.

I'm obviously doing a lot less itensity (including sprint intervals) this time of year but have started adding some now.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Periodization. You cannot keep peak shape forever. Its usually a short 4 to 6 week window and its possible to have a couple of peaks over the season so its best to plan those peaks with a good training plan to achieve that peak when it counts such as races you want to do very well at or win. I push way more watts at the end of the season over the beginning with usually a week break in the middle of the season, family vacation. The above is for the un-medically enhanced athlete.

At some time your body needs rest and backing down in peak fitness allows your body to heal from the little nagging injuries that you have and can still train. If this didn't happen those injuries would turn into injures that take to off the bike injury recovery.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

by Weenie