Running to help with cycling breathing ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ricey155

by ricey155

I've started running again after losing a stone is a year down from 13.8 to 12.8

I've always hated running but lately with decent miles for the winter months in the UK I've started to wonder about doing a mini TRI next year to cross it off the list, so I started running last week only 2 miles but being 40 and 6ft 2" my body doesn't like pounding.

but then IT hit me maybe its good for breathing ? as your panting and trying to control it more.

Don't get me wrong I'm starting slowly 7.5mph per mile but I really don't want blown calfs again or sore shines.

my plan is 2x3 miles per week only too mix things up

what ya think ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

Getting some cross training in is always a good thing. You can definitely see benefits from working muscles that may be weak and under utilized while running. I don't think you will see much benefit for breathing on the bike. I came from a competitive running background (xc, T&F). I found after 3 years of nothing but riding, when I go back to running the cycling has actually helped my breathing during running, not the other way around.

short version:
Running will help in other ways, i.e. general fitness.
If you really want to work on your breathing do yoga.

mattr

by mattr

prebsy wrote:If you really want to work on your breathing do yoga.
Or swim.
Running won't do much for breathing, it'll improve muscle strength (diaphragm and other core muscles) but won't directly stop you puffing and panting.
Swimming will, cos if you puff and pant, you'll drown.

ricey155

by ricey155

Right good replies, swimming is an issue as I look after my 1yr old. Thus running seemed a quicker option a bit like biking get ready go.

Might start doing the px90 again cheers all

Nexus 4 kit kat

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Running is good, especially trail running (if you have access or are able to get off the aphalt/pavement/concrete).

Never underestimate the benefits of a solid yoga session. ;)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

No so much with breathing per se, but if you are particularly VO2max limited something like the odd run wouldn't hurt - greater oxygen demands etc. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that running uphills has a better transfer/biomechanical action to cycling - no idea if thats verified.

Not to mention the impact of running is a good thing for the holistic health view. Just manage the corresponding load and possible DOMS with your "regular" training.

FWIW I do a trail run about every two weeks 1) because I like it 2) as much as I love cycling I may have to ambulate myself at some point in a rapid bipedal fashion, and would like to do it without looking like a new-born foal.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

ricey155

by ricey155

I was trying to get away from cycling 6 days a week really, I'm addicted to road miles

I thought a gentle run twice a week nothing more than 3 miles a time would, mix things up nicely and maybe help.

I agree on the yoga its hard work and probably the hardest workout available

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Good job!

Keep it going and work your way up to an 8-10K run in no time. I'm 39 and 6'2" (started this season at 100kilos) and do 5 milers every 3rd-4th day with cycling 2 times between and a rest day, usually ride (40-80 miles), ride (20-40 miles), run (8-10Km), REST, repeat. SO far so good and I've dropped a ton of weight (have not weighed myself yet but everything's fitting baggy and my belt line shrunk an inch already). Targeting a 10K in April in under 40 minutes and want to podium at least once this season (target a sub 190lbs weight by then as anything below doesn't look healthy with our height, plus I still hit the weights).

Best thing you can do is get good running shoes. You dont want to loose a toe nail or get blisters, knee pain etc from bad shoes and bad form.
carbonLORD.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I don't think that running specifically helps your running.
However, it could help if you need to lose weight, or need more aerobic activity in general. I.E. can't run more, time crunched, etc.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I definitely have stronger, and larger Vastus Lateralis since taking on running and my quads look more even now. Not sure if that helps for cycling but it does look nicer then my Vastus Medialis looking like a second knee cap.
carbonLORD.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'll just echo what has been stated already; I agree that bike fitness helps running fitness more than visa-versa but cross training is great nonetheless.

For me, yoga is probably the most helpful breathing exercise I've come across. It has greatly improved my ability to control my breathing on the bike.

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

On the topic of breathing, I read in a cycling publication, which attempted to debunk myths about lactate buildup, that the lungs are large enough to oxygenate the body at less than full capacity. Long story short, concentrate on exhaling.

Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Imaking20 wrote:bike fitness helps running fitness more than visa-versa

For me (and a few of my friends) it seems to be the other way around. Cycling can really take the "zing" out of your legs you need for efficient running. I'd reckon it has to do with the fact that running benefits a lot from the "spring effect" in muscles, where you load them up when you put weigh on the leg, and some of that energy is returned at the end of the stride. In cycling you don't need any of that, it's just about the power output, no (or very little little?) reactivity required.

Anyway agreed that running uphill helps cycling a lot more than on the flat. The steeper, the better the translation of training.