data analysis after an upgrade

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

project3

by project3

I did some upgrade to by roadbike and before i review the item, can anyone help me to analyze the data I gathered from my garmin collected during an indoor trainer.

before
8th Aug 2013
average speed 31.9
cal 298

avg HR 153
max HR 179

avg cadence 78
max cadence 112

after
10th November 2013
average speed 33.6
cal 327

avg HR 163
max HR 181

avg cadence 88
max cadence 105

since 8th Sept i have not been riding my road by focus on marathon running - half marathon. I did some upgrade to my bike on the 16th Sept.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

seems you tried harder in the "after" (based on cadence and HR)… so was this "upgrade" to you or the bike ? really not making much sense here to me… need more info.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

As above not nearly enough data. What are you assessing? drivetrain efficiency changes and stiffness changes are the only real options to test on a turbo. Highly likely any results would be less within cumulative errors from data collection and methodology. In order to draw any scientific or logical conclusions from the data sets we would need lots more constants.
Session of identical power outputs ( or fragment thereof to test)
Same turbo
same turbo resistance setting
same turbo temperature (affects resistance curve, depending on type and function)
same tyre + condition
same tyre pressure
same contact pressure between tyre and turbo roller.
same gear ratio ideally (makes things easier to compute.)
Probably a few more I can't think of straight away.

At the moment what you are asking is impossible, its like saying on monday i ran at an average of 13kmph in ~z3 with trainer x, and on tuesday i ran at 15kmph in ~z4 with trainer y. Which is the faster trainer? two entirely different sessions and different conditions, with sufficient information (i.e. lots of measurements some quite difficult and imprecise) you may be able to set up a curve to calibrate against, but it will have at least ±5-10% error and probably more dependent on the hydration state, blood glucose level and general fatigue levels of the athlete.

Oh and please ignore Garmins calorie data, you might as well throw a dart at a random number table to get a figure. I've seen people break all laws of physics with those numbers, both too high and too low.

All you can really conclude is you worked substantially harder mainly by pedaling faster, probably taxing different energy systems to varying degrees between the two rides.
cadence and speed are proportional but not directly so.
5.32% increase in speed av
12.82% increase in cadence av
6.54% increase in HR av

jacky374

by jacky374

The moment what you are asking is impossible, its like saying on monday i ran at an average of 13kmph in ~z3 with trainer x, and on tuesday i ran at 15kmph in ~z4 with trainer y. Which is the faster trainer? two entirely different sessions and different conditions, with sufficient information (i.e. lots of measurements some quite difficult and imprecise) you may be able to set up a curve to calibrate against, but it will have at least ±5-10% error and probably more dependent on the hydration state, blood glucose level and general fatigue levels of the athlete. since 8th Sept i have not been riding my road by focus on marathon running - half marathon. I did some upgrade to my bike on the 16th Sept.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

correlation does not imply causation

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com