Most efficient warm up before long race?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

el condor

by el condor

Will have a 200km ttt soon, start around 6am, there's quit a few climbs right at the beginning so no time to warm up during race, what's the best warm up that won't be (too)-tiring? I've done the race a few times but never warmed up before nor did I go for a ride the day before. How effective is a easy ride of say 2 hours the afternoon before the race does this help a bit for the early start in the morning?
Any input welcome.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

I would do an easy spin the day before the race, mostly in Z1-Z2 HR, at a fairly high but still comfortable cadence, w/o overdoing it.
I would stay 80% of the time on the 39T. That said, I would also throw in a few accelerations on the small ring, but again not full on, but just to prep the engine. If a hard 20s acceleration takes you to 1100W then I would bring it up to 600-700W and in the small ring. I would keep the accelerations short to avoid depleting glycogen stores and prevent inducing fatigue.

I have never done such an incredibly long TTT, but because of the duration of the race I would not go crazy. Warm ups are a very personal thing, and it will depend crucially how hard you and your teammates intend to hit the early climbs, on the temperature, etc. Some warm up makes sense because of the early start and the early climbs, but I would make it very progressive starting from low intensity and I would be slightly conservative on the intensity.

Good luck! ;- )
Last edited by vlastrada on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vlastrada

by vlastrada

sorry - double post

mattyb95

by mattyb95

A spin the day before is usually helpful just to keep things loose if nothing else. As for the day, it's quite a personal thing but British Cycling have a 20 minute warm up that focuses more on leg speed than all out effort so may help get you set for the climbs without being too draining. Obviously don't do it for the first time on the day, give it or any other warm up you are considering a test beforehand and see what works for you.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/insigh ... -Warm-Up-0

el condor

by el condor

Thanks so far I will try a few things out beforehand, but keep the ideas-personal "rituals" coming thanks.