HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:20 pm 

Steamboat Springs, Co is ideal for the late spring-fall season. Pretty dry (generally a light rainstorm once a day for at most 30 minutes), the roads are amazing (Rabbit Ears is a fun climb with some more rolling and flat off to the north), it's at elevation (valley floor roughly @ 6,900 ft and the roads go up to 10,000+ on nearby passes), mountain biking (if you're into that as well), and some nice people. Expensive as hell, though! And once the snow falls it gets all sorts of hard to ride (so I hear). All in all it is one of my favorite places to ride, but unfortunately I don;t live there!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:33 pm 

Santa Barbara, CA is excellent, though not at elevation. I spent my winters there when I was escaping the bitter Vermont winters as a rider for the Team Type 1 Pro Continental team. It's extra beautiful there, and once you meet someone, you can negotiate a place that's reasonably priced. I found SB to be the hidden gem. They have a handful of pros out there over the winter and not everyone wants to race you as you might find in Boulder or Tucson. Great weekend rides, too. Saturday around Lake Casitas and Sunday Worlds both with decent turnout. Heck, I am talking myself back into it.

Good luck.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:33 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 pm 

I second the carolinas

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:04 pm 

Reno, Nevada.

It hits all the points:

4,500 base elevation in the valley with climbs up to 9,500 feet at Mt. Rose.
Excellent weather. There will be snow days, but that means you get to XC skate ski at Tahoe Donner. XC will get you FIT on the bike. The summers aren't truly that hot, except for a few weeks, but since it's arid, the mornings are cool (50-70 degree AMs in July/August, even if the afternoon temp is 90).
Did I mention Tahoe? Oh, there we go –– the riding in the basin is exemplary. Riding around Tahoe kind of sucks, but there are long, LONG road and mountain climbs a plenty going up the mountains and outside the basin.
Speaking of mountains, there are lots of them. Get a mountain bike.
The racing scene is incredible –– lots to do in town or in Norcal, which is only a short drive away. Some say it's stronger than Boulder.

For fun? Reno is a very cool, hip city. It's extremely livable with a strong outdoors culture. You can hike in town, get good brews and food, enjoy year-round local organic groceries. San Francisco is 3-4 hours away. I used to make a road trip to SF every couple of weeks.
Patagonia, Moment Skis, Ritchey, et. al. are based in Reno. If you are outdoors-oriented, you can get a sweet job in town if you're persistent and qualified.
Reno is also very cheap. I was living in a pretty cool cottage for $525, all utilities included.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:59 pm 

This actually sounds pretty cool. When I was in Tahoe before Tour of Cali Stage 1 (canceled due to snow back in 2011), I found the riding the riding a few days before the race fairly good with excellent scenery and could feel the elevation. I'd consider it if I was in the game ever again. Good thoughts.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3