Best US cycling training location?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I love riding in Mammoth, but I would never recommend it year around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Couple domestic pros live and train in Harrisonburg, WV, and Joe D and Ben King both ride out there plenty when they aren't in more interesting places. It's not interminably far from DC if you get cabin fever. Tons of climbing -- can't go anywhere without going up. College town. Never thought I'd think it, but for the bike it's actually a pretty great place to hang your hat.

mattk66

by mattk66

Check out Bend Oregon, and Flagstaff AZ. Both are at altitude and both are known for their outdoor athlete cultures. Bend itself is pretty dry in the winter. I think flagstaff is also.

dgran

by dgran

worstshotever wrote:Couple domestic pros live and train in Harrisonburg, WV, and Joe D and Ben King both ride out there plenty when they aren't in more interesting places. It's not interminably far from DC if you get cabin fever. Tons of climbing -- can't go anywhere without going up. College town. Never thought I'd think it, but for the bike it's actually a pretty great place to hang your hat.

Another vote for Central Virginia. The winter is aggravating for about two months of the year, but otherwise the road terrain is wonderful. The climbs aren't very high but the are plenty steep and there are a lot of people who ride in the area.

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Oops, yes, meant Va., not WV. Although there's definitely some stellar terrain in nearby WV, too! And a very sweet cycling training camp business run out of the Lost River area: http://www.rawtalentranch.com/

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

mattk66 wrote:Check out Bend Oregon, and Flagstaff AZ. Both are at altitude and both are known for their outdoor athlete cultures. Bend itself is pretty dry in the winter. I think flagstaff is also.

One benefit of having been a vagabond for 13 years, is that I've been pretty much everywhere in the west. And for year round climate questions, there is the internet with 100+ years of stats...

Flagstaff gets 90inches of snow/yr (avg high of 42 in Jan) and the roads suck for riding (all year). Nice town though.

Bend was a really great place before it grew. Nice setting and good roads but winter weather sucks for riding... colder than Flagstaff and less sun.

In the US there is a pretty small section in the southern part of AZ, NM, and TX at high altitude where the climate is mildest. Like Sierra Vista and Bisbee AZ, over to Silver City and Ruidoso NM, and Fort Davis TX. Jan/July highs for instance range from 60/93 in Sierra Vista, to 50/82 in Ruidoso. Winters are sunny with minimal precipitation, with most rain falling in the summer... when I frankly don't mind getting rained on too much. In California and north all the precip happens in the winter. If it is also cold (which it is at higher elevation) that isn't any fun at all.
formerly rruff...

vfr700

by vfr700

Flagstaff's winter snow is hit or miss, sometimes very dry, and at times they get dumped on. I'm not certain of the above comments, or his/her experience in reference to Flagstaff having terrible year round cycling. Flagstaff has wonderful roads, and one can find a different road or mountain ride every day of the week. My experience having lived there for many years is positive, winter snow doesn't stay on the roads for long due to the arid climate & sun exposure. The single track & forest service roads retain snow for longer because of shade & elevation gain. Winter off season training is excellent, with the Nordic Center, & The Arizona Snow Bowl, you can access cross country & downhill. Also the San Francisco Peaks summit at 12400' which provides great snow shoeing, should the roads have limited cycling access.

Winter training is quite good in Scottsdale, and provides beautiful rolling roads that are cycling friendly. Bartlett Lake has close to 4k' of climbing, Saguaro Lake can also provide close to 3k' of climbing depending on your route. Average temp's in the mid 70's through the winter and a huge cycling community make Scottsdale a gem for winter training. Pez Cycling News did an article on a Scottsdale's Bespoke Inn, a cycling hotel/ winter training destination a couple months ago http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/travel?id=124592 The summer is a bit much unless you're on the road by 4:45am, and that's even too hot at times.

Southern Arizona is also very good for winter training, just as the above post indicates, but has similar summer conditions as Scottsdale.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

When I was in Flagstaff only the Lake Mary road had a shoulder. All the other roads had too much traffic... tourists in motor homes and such... just too dangerous to be in the "good" category. Or do you know of other routes?

The places I mentioned in S AZ (Sierra Vista and Bisbee) are nothing like Scottsdale... they are much cooler in the summer.
formerly rruff...

Bantamben

by Bantamben

I really like living in north Orange County. There is about 5-6 competitive weekly cycling clubs you can ride with that get pretty big. Numbers and a lot of fast guys. It's very hilly here with tons of neighborhood climbs. And if you drive 15-20 mn or ride your bike 30 miles to the base of my baldy you can climb Glendora mountain road it's a two lane highway that seems built for cyclist sunny pretty much year round 23 miles from base to my baldy village about a 4-8% grade beautiful views then from there you can ride another 5-7 miles up to the ski lifts. Which has grades up to 16%. Almost zero traffic on that road as baldy it not much of a destination. Definately the best stage in the tour of california. Although they have skipped it the last two years.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

St. George, UT?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

phourgenres wrote:St. George, UT?

Compared to where I live the high temperature in St George in Jan is the same (50F), but in July it's 20 degrees hotter (82 vs 102). It also used to be very Mormon but might have changed... it's grown a lot.
formerly rruff...