Cyclo-cross traning on the turbo

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

I wonder if anyone has any sessions for training on the turbo for cross races. I get in the top ten but need a little more.
I have a decent turbo trainer, HR monitor and can follow a plan. The cross races I do last 40 mins as I'm a vet now, 43 years of age.
Skills wise Im above average and make up in the tech scetions as Im from a MTB background and still do 2-3 MTB rides a week.

Cheers :thumbup:
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

NS

by NS

:roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I would suggest 2x20s at threshold with 2-5 min rest in between or 10-20x(30s on, 30s off).

Although I wouldn't do them on the trainer; sure you'll gain some strength but why not emulate the race conditions? I do them up and down a big field on the grass, on dirt roads and on off camber along the side of the road. When the weather gets really bad I setup my trainer and warm up and cool down on it inside but still do the cross "work" outside.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Just don't practice your dismounts and shouldering, could be a bit heavy with the trainer still attached. :lol:

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

:smartass:
dereksmalls wrote:Just don't practice your dismounts and shouldering, could be a bit heavy with the trainer still attached. :lol:
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

stefanot
Shop Owner

by stefanot

As far as 'cross fitness goes, I think Tabata intervals are still the best on the trainer. Start with 2 sets of 8 x 20s all out / 10s rest. Add more sets if you're a masochist :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voodoojar

by voodoojar

is outside broken?