Off season sleep

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I am into my third week off the bike, more because my cardiologist wants me to take four weeks off completely to check my heart again in a non-trained state. This is the longest I have taken off the bike in 10 years, and I am finding, that even though I am not exercising, I am sleeping a great bit more than before.
Just a curious question, have any of you found that you do the same?
I also wonder if I have been chronically fatigued for years and now I am just trying to recover.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AGW

by AGW

Well, just imagine the cumulative training load over 10 years wherein you've taken no more than 3 consecutive weeks off. Your brain and endocrine system is probably getting in on some of that recovery action.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I hope that is what it is. I have not fought it, if I start to fall asleep I go, except for at work for obvious reasons, but there have been nights where I have been sitting down after supper early and just go to sleep. 12 hour sleep bouts are not un-common.

HUMP

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Great Scott - 12 hours of sleep the amount of recovery sleep I need after a rough friday night out with my buddies.

boysa

by boysa

I think you are certainly catching up on some MUCH needed rest. It's incredible how we can abuse ourselves day in, day out on the bike. I wouldn't be surprised if you come back in a few weeks, take a couple days to get back in the swing, then see some real gains.

I've been trying to end my season, but knowing I'm headed on a month-long vacation, sans bicycle, has me fighting to finish one last block of volume. Fortunately, my wife is letting me take my running shoes along. Cross-training!! :wink:
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

AGW

by AGW

A race-ready state of training - year-in, year-out - isn't a state that the body would preferentially adapt to, but it will when given no choice. You may have managed to raise your short-term recovery ceiling to such a level that you simply could get by with 8 hours of sleep. Now, your body is cashing in while it has the chance. You'll level out soon, and I agree that you'll probably see some gains should you continue to race as you have been (I noticed your conundrum in the other training thread).

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Yes, and I actually made the decision yesterday to hang up the race cleats. I will continue to ride, because I love to, but going to give it a go without the competition.

HUMP

User Name

by User Name

Are you a bit 'sad', or just on a downer, because of your situation? If so, maybe this is making you feel like you just wanna stay in bed, rather than springing out of the sack and seizing the day.

I know when I occasionally have the "can't be bothereds", or when something's getting me down a bit, I don't feel like facing the day, so I sleep more. I work evenings, so I rarely have to get up early to be anywhere
Last edited by User Name on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

No, not really. This week, the sleep patterns have actually been more normal, I still seem to go to bed early, but I do get up early to get to work.

HUMP