London To Newcastle In 24 Hours Training?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ramchip

by ramchip

I’m looking for a little help from anybody with experience of ultra cycling events to help me put a training plan together. I want to ride this event (http://www.ride24hr.com/2newcastle.php) next year. In reality I’m just a newbie in regards to cycling. I started cycling last July when I was overweight. Starting with just 5K rides, slowly but surely increasing my rides, I lost five and a half stones and completed the Deloite Ride Across Britain 990 miles in nine days, although being honest it nearly killed me, or at least it felt like it.

I class myself as a “plodder” and it seems my existing training is simple training my body to ride longer but slowly. I’m very lucky as I’m semi retired and live in south east Spain so I can ride all winter long so just need some guidance.

Could someone advise me on what training I should now be doing to target the London to Newcastle ride which will also help me increase my speed and endurance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deltree

by deltree

Ok the website says it's 7 "stages" of 40-45 miles each. The climbing is pretty low. What I'd start out with is hashing out a training loop (or two/three to decrease the monotony) of that distance with the start and end at your house. That way you're not too far from your base and you can ride your training like the event with pitstops,refueling and restocking.

What equipment do you have at your disposal? Garmin? HR monitor? etc.

ramchip

by ramchip

deltree wrote:Ok the website says it's 7 "stages" of 40-45 miles each. The climbing is pretty low. What I'd start out with is hashing out a training loop (or two/three to decrease the monotony) of that distance with the start and end at your house. That way you're not too far from your base and you can ride your training like the event with pitstops,refueling and restocking.

Garmin 800 with HR Belt plus I also have a Tacx Trainer.

deltree

by deltree

ramchip wrote:

Awesome. This is where it gets tricky. I'm not aware of many routines aimed at this so you'll have to adapt some. You've got plenty of time. Get a wall chart or diary. Track everything that you can. Also listen to your body. The first 8 weeks I'd recommend http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutri ... s?page=0,0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but you may want to change earlier, depends on your current fitness level and what you're happy with. I'm sure the guys in the Routine thread can help too viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ramchip

by ramchip

ramchip wrote:
deltree wrote:Ok the website says it's 7 "stages" of 40-45 miles each. The climbing is pretty low. What I'd start out with is hashing out a training loop (or two/three to decrease the monotony) of that distance with the start and end at your house. That way you're not too far from your base and you can ride your training like the event with pitstops,refueling and restocking.

Thanks for your help. I do ride around 300K each week. For example my rides for last week:

Monday: 55K
Tuesday:80K
Wednesday:20K
Thursday:80K
Friday:80K
Saturday:10K

The trouble is I'm riding without any structure so I'm not getting any faster although I can plod along for miles. I have done a fair amount of reading over the last few days and it seems I need to add intervals to my training but what type and duration? Also it is too early to have an extra long ride each week that I increase the mileage by 5% to 10% each week?

deltree

by deltree

The Bicycling.com Century plan I linked is kind of on the money with what kind of intervals you need. However they use Base, Tempo and Threshold. If you're on Strava there are 5 zones. Endurance, Moderate, Tempo, Threshold and Anaerobic. Add an extra ~30 minutes to the long weekly ride.

Let's put it this way. 300 miles is 480km. More than 50% on top of what you're doing weekly at the moment. You can look at articles online, read books and listen to Podcasts until the cows come home but the number one thing it to get rubber on tarmac and those miles in.

Find a plan. Stick to it for 4 weeks. Log everything. Miles, heartrate, avg. speed, feeling tired? How many bars did you consume? Review what went well and what didn't.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com