treatments for saddle sores

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

User Name

by User Name

From my experience, there are 2 main, different types of saddle sores: the large pimple type, and the "nappy rash" kind, which is like a "raw skin" thing, from too much friction or similar irritation.
I suspect that the 'soothing', skin repair-type creams are good for the rash-type irritations, but I reckon the pimple ones need some sort of antibacterial action if they get out of hand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Not shaving around the area helps too. The hairs rubbing back and forth on the chamois area under the skin seem to cause issues as well. I will have to give Sudocream a go. Also don't wear underwear!

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

There’s a lot of remedies here but for taking a break, if I just pedal out of the saddle should I be ok?
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

I finally took some action this last week.

I commute by bike and switching to another form of transportation would really throw a stick in my wheel. 8 km commute and no shower at work. After work I Uber eats on the bike for 4-6 hours.

I put the Japanese equivalent of neosporin on it every morning after a shower and covered it with a large band aid with duck tape to keep it in place.

The first day I biked with no saddle. Unluckily my recently swapped pedals had a mishap of sorts an my right shoe won’t remove from the pedal. So I switched to the guru.

For the rest of the week on the guru I’ve had the same routine but on the guru: shower, cream/bandaid/tape, bike to work, Uber sitting down, apply cream at night before sleeping and no pants at night to let it air, repeat.

Despite no break from riding it’s making progress. Will update next week.
Cheers

T

c60rider

by c60rider

Bag balm works brilliantly to help settle sore skin.

velomane

by velomane

Another vote for Bag Balm here. As a further plus, it works wonders on the cracked skin of my knuckles. The dry Winnipeg winters are are just brutal on one's skin.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Anti-Bacterial soap (personally use Safeguard)

I use Anti-Bacterial soap in my nether regions + armpit area where bacteria is prevelant

Also, a lot of fitters out there do say if sores happen often it may have something to do with your bike fit relative to your saddle choice - personal experience is I use to have a Specialized Toupe which caused me sores before and my sit bones just didnt jive with it. Since then Ive been using short saddles as I tend to sit on the rivet and it's been working.

dmp

by dmp

In addition to many of the things mentioned, the key item is early recognition- don't ignore a hot spot. I had my first saddle sore last autumn after many years on the bike, and I didn't attend to it in time- it got infected and I paid the price! Another thing that helps is a hydrocolloidal bandage. YOu need to reduce friction and pressure on the sore in order for it to heal.

jeho

by jeho

c60rider wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38 pm
Bag balm works brilliantly to help settle sore skin.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

trainingpartner

by trainingpartner

Kastrup wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:45 pm
If they are infected i would apply some kind of cleansing creme. I treat mine with the same cremes used for red baby bottoms. Works wonders.
+1

I do go down the "bursting" road if they are huge though.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

A cream I found in Japan takes a saddle sore off in the span of a rest day. OronineH ointment

hajimen

by hajimen

Use athletic tape before riding. It prevents rubbing.
I always tape layers of medical tape and athletic tape. Athletic tape is durable but rough and hard. So I need medical tape to soften it.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

hajimen wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:18 pm
I always tape layers of medical tape and athletic tape. Athletic tape is durable but rough and hard. So I need medical tape to soften it.
Fascinating.

I'm genuinely curious how you keep it in place with sweating and leg movement!

hajimen

by hajimen

Matt28NJ wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:49 pm
hajimen wrote:
Fascinating.

Athletic tape and medical tape are very waterproof and robust adhesive. They rarely fall away under hard conditions.
Actually I have a hard time for detaching it after a ride.

DC41

by DC41

hajimen wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:04 am
Matt28NJ wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:49 pm
hajimen wrote:
Fascinating.

Athletic tape and medical tape are very waterproof and robust adhesive. They rarely fall away under hard conditions.
Actually I have a hard time for detaching it after a ride.
Best tape I've found is Battle Turf Tape. It's the tape you see on the back of the arms of American football players used to prevent burns on the arms and elbows when falling on artificial turf. It's thin, flexible, breathable, and stays in place.

I've had reoccurring saddle sores where my skin splits "down there" (not infected follicles or abrasion) from I assume the skin being stretched. Googled the hell out of it, but couldn't find any anyone with the same problem much less a solution. Changing saddles, shorts, position, a bunch of medical tape... nothing worked until my brother recommended it.

It keeps me on my bike! Can't recommend it highly enough. :thumbup:
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com