Bicuspid Aorta Valve

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I have been diagnosed with this and it concerns me. I posted on FB and have had some other cyclist who were diagnosed. One I raced against is still riding and racing, the other is older and he had to have surgery, but is back at it now.

Anyone on here have any experience with this?

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

dmp

by dmp

Most people with bifid (bicuspid) Ao valves have no symptoms or problems. Once reaching your 50's or so, some people will begin to develop stenosis of the valve, which can cause problems, and eventually require valvuloplasty or replacement, but if you have no problems now you should not have any restrictions, either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mclarenffive

by mclarenffive

but if you have no problems now you should not have any restrictions, either.???

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Okay, here's the deal. You need to find a cardiologist who understands endurance athletics and what it's all about. It may take a little work to do this. You need to build a strong working relationship and have regular testing. An echo cardiogram can show blood flow snd if the valve is leaking. I would also want a full Cardiac MRI workup with contrast to check for other structural problems that can be associated with that defect. I am NOT a doctor but have lots of experience with this issue. Lots of people do just fine with this but you just need to be on top of it with a good cardiologist.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

5DII

by 5DII

How were you diagnosed? Did you have symptoms?

Recommendations about exercise and physical activity for individuals with a bicuspid aortic valve must take into account the type and severity of valve disease present (aortic stenosis or aortic regurgitation) and the presence of a dilated aortic root or ascending aorta.

Because certain physical activities lead to increases in blood pressure and aortic wall stress, lifestyle modification is necessary when aortic dilatation is associated with bicuspid aortic valve disease. The 36th Bethesda Conference released recommendations with regards to participating in sports and physical activity for patients with bicuspid aortic valves:

●Patients with aortic root or ascending aorta diameter <40 mm (or the equivalent adjusted for body surface area) and no significant aortic stenosis or aortic regurgitation may participate in all competitive sports.

●Patients with dilated aortic roots or ascending aortas with diameters between 40 and 45 mm may participate in low and moderate static or dynamic sports (class IA, IB, IIA, IIB), as long as there is no potential for bodily collision or trauma.

●Patients with dilated aortic root or ascending aortas with diameters >45 mm may participate only in low-intensity competitive sports (class IA)

(Cycling is class IIIC)

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I was diagnosed after a spell at the end of two seasons ago. I had a day where I was riding and the power was up, but the HR wouldn't come up. I just felt weird, so I went to the hospital. They found it through an EKG, and then I went to a cardiologist who deals with cycling and athletes. He did the echo and told me the only restriction I had was heavy lifting. Other than that, I can ride. He told me unless something dramatic changes, I shouldn't need the valve replaced until robots are doing it.
It changed me mentally though. I no longer race, but I still try to ride some. My heart was atrophied and he wanted to make sure that it came back down in size after prolonged rest and it did.

HUMP

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Hypertrophied rather than atrophied ?

Glad you are well. Things like that do put racing into perspective. I tend to ride along in our team with a friend with a similar cardiac history to mine and we find a better balance than we did 20 years ago. We are tempted sometimes and do let rip and then laugh at ourselves. It is interesting how strong you can still be without the super-intense efforts also.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

You are right, Hypertrophied, Atrophied would be really bad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com