Train with KK power reading or PM?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

In a bit of a financial dilemma at the moment and need some advice. My race season is basically over for this year and I'll be moving back indoors to my Kurt Kinetic trainer. I'd much rather prefer to be outside but the roads around me aren't super friendly so I'd rather not risk it with the inclement weather we get. The trainer came with a computer that does provide power readings as its calibrated with the trainer, however I've never really used it as I always had a PT. My question is how accurate is that thing and would it be ok to use until next season when I can afford to find a powertap/quarq? I'm sort of strapped for cash and after wrecking my last powertap wheel with a nasty flat I'm out a rear wheel altogether. So here's my options, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Swap training wheels between my two bikes and leave one in the work stand
-Pick up a cheap training wheelset to use on trainer with the provided computer
-Take a major hit on the CC and buy a PT wheel set now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rijndael

by rijndael

If I'm consistent about the number of turns of the KK tension knob, after it makes contact, it's pretty precise with the power readings. 2.5 turns of the knob, after contact, makes it accurate. I verified the numbers with my Quarq.

I think you should put any money toward a Trainerroad.com subscription, get a garmin USB stick and GSC-10, and save the rest of the money. Get a PT next season.

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

oh awesome I didn't even think about trainerroad.com. do i have to get the garmin specific one or does any ant+ sensor work? I have the bontrager duotrap sensor still in the frame that handles cadence and speed.

rijndael

by rijndael

Any ANT+ should work.

I wouldn't feel unprepared after a winter of trainerroad and a good plan. Just be consistent about the tension knob and PSI.

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

thanks I'll give that a try! Does it need to be a specific kind of garmin stick? I have the usb one that works with my FR610 watch which is ant+ ....im wondering if all I need is a subscription and i'm off and running...

rijndael

by rijndael

I have the black Garmin stick, it works fine. I don't know if there are different ones.

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

I'll give it a shot, any suggestions of how I proceed with trainer road? I've never used it, are there different plans?

rijndael

by rijndael

Yes, there are a lot of plans from which to choose.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Estimated power is estimated, and therefore largely useless. Basing training off HR or RPE would be more worthwhile.

How did the PT get damaged as a result of a flat? I assume the rim could be replaced somehow?

And given the huge price drop of Powertaps and the other power options on the market they are quite affordable.

As for not riding outside, usually there is a solution... if you want to find it. Though good form can be made on the trainer for sure.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

Although pt's have dropped a bunch, living paycheck to paycheck doesn't really give me the extra $500 for a used one even unfortunately. I am selling off a bunch of gear so hopefully I'll have enough to maybe score one that slips through eBay.

As for the damaged rim, I was on a decent on a long two lane busy highway and the shoulder/bike lane was really chewed up and flatted and ei

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nscott1463

by Nscott1463

Sorry continue previous post...
...I flatted and must have accidentally touched the rear brake or the road grabbed the tire but the tire got pulled completely off the rim (which was a Aeolus 5 cc) and the brake track splintered a bunch. The wheel could have been used on a trainer but I made the decision to sell the set and move on. It was one of those older 16h paired spoke powertaps and according to the trek dealers there was only like one rim it could be built into unless I found a used Rolf/Aeolus to mate it. I decided that I wanted to switch wheels anyways and sold it. Used the money from the sale to help pay some race bills and travel expenses.