Dislocated knee.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Basically while running an errand I managed to dislocate my left knee while clipping in my right foot to push off. I have taken the doctor's advice with ice, rest, elevation and compression.

Has anyone else done this? Outcome? How long off the bike?

motorthings

by motorthings

how severe of a dislocation was it? do they have you in an immobilizer?

i have dislocated my knees many times to varying degrees. if there is ligament and tendon damage, it can be a long road back with 4-6 weeks immobilization for the joint. even with only a partial dislocation where the patella snaps back in on its own, it generally took me as long anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maximilian

by Maximilian

My patella popped off to the left at which point I fell in the floor. It went back within about 5s. I'm not immobilised, but have a compression thing over my knee. As I did this on Thursday at university the doctor spoke to me over the phone as the campus is big. I'm seeing the physiotherapist on Tuesday.

I don't have any pain really and can walk OK with a stick.

motorthings

by motorthings

i'd say walk around as little as possible and r.i.c.e. until you can see the doc. a dislocation can tear a lot of things up and make the joint very unhappy. just because you CAN walk on it does not mean you SHOULD. in my unfortunately vast experience with this (~15 dislocations), getting the initial inflammation down is critical, and following the doc and p.t. instructions. fortunately for you, cycling (on a stationary bike) is the best way to rehab it (besides the leg extensions, etc the p.t. will give you).

maybe p.t. has evolved since my last dislocation, but i'm guessing it will be at least a couple of weeks before you can even get on the exercise bike. pushing it too much too soon will set you back. seriously.

drchull

by drchull

Motorthings says it about right. Shouldn't have any long term issues other than a predisposition to do the same again. Medial quad strength will be very important to you in the future. Physiotape is a surprisingly effective and helpful modality when you start moving again.
With your leg straight how mobile is the other knee cap? Lots of people have hypermobile patellas in which case you likely did little damage.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

My good patella can move about 1inch either side from centre.

motorthings

by motorthings

mine are both hypermobile, but have never dislocated without major damage. but I have heard of some lucky bastiges that can just "pop" their kneecap back in place as if nothing happened. i simply cannot imagine doing that, but every body is different, and perhaps i am just that weak and pathetic.

either way, good luck on your recovery...patience is the hardest part.

drchull

by drchull

1 inch is pretty mobile especially laterally.
Sorry about all the difficulties motorthings, not weak and pathetic, just unlucky. Kind of like shoulders, some people just pop them back in, some people have to be sedated and get two burly nurses to help me push back in.
Max, good luck with your rehab.

motorthings

by motorthings

i'm just going by what my wife says, but i'll let her know.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I saw the physiotherapist today. I seems like I have got lucky and escaped with out any major damage. I wrenched the ligaments on the inside of my knee. She did some massage to get rid of some of the fluid which caused the swelling and did a few stretches on my ITB which was really tight and pulling everything off.

I can now reach full extension again, not quite full bending. She also tape me up with kinesio tape. That keeps everything in check enough that I can now walk almost normally without crutches.

I have some stretches to do to get my quads going again as they have 'disconnected'.
I think I got off lightly because I'm 18 and pretty flexible. I also don't weigh alp lot so didn't put that much force on my ligaments when it went.

Thanks for all of your help. I'll keep you posted.

motorthings

by motorthings

congratulations!!!

now that you know it is possible, be sure to do whatever strengthening exercises they give you to prevent it from happening again.

ahki

by ahki

I think the misconception is taking a patella dislocation for an knee dislocation.

I have a genetics issue where I have a high riding patella ands have suffered a serious right knee lateral dislocation which tore the MCL (which had to be re-grafted with hamstring) and delaminated the articular cartilage on the patella. and had to have true fit plug with a patella reconstructive surgery

More recently whilst carrying my bicycle down the stairs at Rapha.cc in London I slipped at the bottom of the stairs on their concrete floor and suffered a left patella lateral dislocation and dislodge a 50p size articular cartilage on both the patella and on the Femur no torn ligaments but some scaring. Arthroscopy surgery to remove and micro fracture to regrow some of the cartilage. no reconstruction this time but the knee feels really crunchy, but this from experience will subdue over time and usually it's just the scar tissue.
Just came out of the brace on Tuesday started light tap on the turbo which felt fine until I tried to get out of the saddle and could not put weight through it. Again this will require time and rehab to recover as there is a lot of lost muscle mass.

6 weeks now since the dis

motorthings

by motorthings

atrophy is no fun.

eurperg

by eurperg

Talking about athropy, I'm currently recovering from patellar tendon surgery after a complete tear of the tendon and joint capsule. 5 weeks after surgery, and I'm just starting riding on trainer again without any resistance. My right thigh is two inches thinner than my left one, cycling starts from zero, my quads are totally gone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorthings

by motorthings

been there more times than i'd like to recall...after my roux goldthwaite procedure in '76 i could only straighten my leg more once before my quads were totally fatigued. 6 weeks in a cast does that. i recommend a new xbox, halo 4, and a recumbent exercise bike. that combination got me through the last 3 surgeries.