Any foods that make your performance tank

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mentok

by mentok

alcohol and/or lots of protein. If i have a few beers and a massive steak for dinner i know i'm going to have an off day the next day.

jonloh

by jonloh

Bananas for me. Even one banana before a ride will cause my heart to beat really fast such that I am unable to ride a brisk pace without feeling that my heart is about to blow. I think it's becuase of the potassium in bananas?? Any else experience the same thing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

bananas: could be a reaction to the ethylene used to artificially ripen them? bananas also contain latex so it could also be a mild latex allergy...

voodoojar

by voodoojar

Dairy and anything with a bunch of sugar in it.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

For me, it's not a matter of food but quantity and dinner time. I try to keep my dinner light when I ride the next day. I'll have a good lunch the day before with plenty of carbs (whole wheat), but I avoid large meals before a ride. What kills me is when people want to go to Happy Hour on Friday nights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fogflip

by fogflip

I am much better when i limit my cheese intake haha. Also when really training i shy away from white bread's they make me feel bloated. Alcohol also does me in I don't know how these people can get drunk and ride the next day!

KvnP

by KvnP

My performance actually goes up after a slize of pizza :thumbup:
Parlee Z3c
Independent Fabrication SSR // 953
Independent Fabrication Planet X
Knolly Chilcotin

prebsy

by prebsy

Bad: 1.Anything you rarely eat 2. Red meat, cheese burgers destroy me, especially burger king.

good: Anything you frequently eat/drink. Alcohol is no longer detrimental to my riding...practice makes hungover perfection.

KWalker

by KWalker

Depends when I eat them.

If I eat too much food it doesn't matter what kind it is it will just overload my guts and my riding will tank.

Personally I have almost never had a food hangover. Some of my best rides ever have come the day after a very hard ride or race where I stuffed my face afterwards with random shit. My best 1hr power output ever came the day after a 4hr training ride that included a 2hr road race. Afterwards I hit up some frozen yogurt, polished that off with some pizza, and snacked all afternoon on random shit that wasn't healthy whatsoever. Finished it off with a couple of Guinness', woke up, ate 3 medium pancakes, waited 90min while drinking my espresso, unloaded the contents from the day before, and had a fantastic ride.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

User Name

by User Name

KWalker wrote:Depends when I eat them.
Some of my best rides ever have come the day after a very hard ride or race where I stuffed my face afterwards with random shit. My best 1hr power output ever came the day after a 4hr training ride that included a 2hr road race.

That's interesting.
As an aging racer, I'm finding it harder to recover and to 'guarantee' good legs on race day, so I usually try to do everything right, while also trying to maintain a decent weight. Having good legs on race day is still a bit of voodoo, but sometimes I suspect it just comes down to how much I stuff my face the night before :thumbup:

KWalker

by KWalker

One thing I've universally found always works is making sure I do not come in at a caloric deficit the day before a race. Maybe even or a few hundred over, but its never enough to gain weight and I want to make sure I am as recovered and energized as possible.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I'm about to find out if pork enchiladas for lunch makes for a strong evening ride......I shall report back! :wink:

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

jonloh wrote:Bananas for me. Even one banana before a ride will cause my heart to beat really fast such that I am unable to ride a brisk pace without feeling that my heart is about to blow. I think it's becuase of the potassium in bananas?? Any else experience the same thing?

Dude bananas keep me going. They're miracle food for me. On long winter base rides I'll often eat up to 15 of them.

I can't think of anything really that makes me tank. I'm young and my metabolism is like dry leaves in a bonfire... my body just seems to burn up anything just fine.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

btompkins0112 wrote:I'm about to find out if pork enchiladas for lunch makes for a strong evening ride......I shall report back! :wink:

Pork enchiladas are a go! Bested a riding buddy in the closing uphill sprint at 37mph.....pipped him by a tire width.

FredBloggs

by FredBloggs

KvnP wrote:My performance actually goes up after a slize of pizza :thumbup:

A slice :shock: Err.. A Whole pizza for me :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com