Craving Salty Food after Longer Ride

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Hi,

Is it normal to have salt craving after a long ride (70+miles, 4 hr+) ? or is it sign that I don't intake enough electrolyte during the ride ? or I read maybe it is a sign of dehydration ? I try to eat healthier food after riding for recovery but I ended eating instant noodles, chips, etc which has tons of salt. This usually last at least until the next day. In my typical long ride, I drink 3 bottles of 25 oz, 1 bottles of 25 oz of Skratch Lab, and 1 GU gel every 45 minutes. I sweat a lot but I don't feel dehydrated.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jockster

by jockster

What temperatures do you ride in atm?
During the colder seasons I find myself having much less need to supplement with electrolytes during my longer and/or more intense rides.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Typical Californian summer, around 60 F in the morning to low 80 F. I have already bought some electrolyte tablets so I can intake more to see if it helps.

jockster

by jockster

nfecyle wrote:Typical Californian summer, around 60 F in the morning to low 80 F. I have already bought some electrolyte tablets so I can intake more to see if it helps.

Do that. Also try adding some multivitamins to your breakfast each morning. It can't hurt being fully stocked up on necessary minerals before working out.
Before using electrolyte tablets in my bottles and taking multivitamins, I often had severe headaches 3/4 into a hard/and/or long workout despite maintaining fluid intake properly. None of that anymore.

When it comes to your munchies - avoid keeping any of the salty energy-packed stuff that makes you feel bad afterwards at home, if cutting weight is a concern of yours.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I do sometimes got headache when I do go out riding, and I am not sure why. When that's happens I just usually ride a lower intensity and keep the pain bearable for the the duration of the ride.
Multivitamins might be one thing I need. Unfortunately, every time I toke multivitamins tablet or any vitamin tablet for that matter, I get digestive system problem such as constipation and bloating; therefore I stopped taking them. Maybe I should try different brands.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

If you eat healthy, you should get away without too many extra pills. Especially if you start drinking sports drinks, they usually already have vitamins added. Taking "multi" supplements just upon suspicion also prevents you from finding out the actual cause of your craving. Change one thing at a time :-)

pagey

by pagey

I crave salty food after a big ride because of the sweet foods and drinks during the ride. After a 6hr race on gels, bars and mixes i love a big bag of salt and vinegar chips

andrewh8877

by andrewh8877

Don't know about 70 miles, that's not normal for me but after a 24hr race I definately get it. A hard 12hr race can induce similar cravings, shorter ones much less often but I guess everyone is different.
I don't worry about the food, I figure that if I've just ridden long enough to get the craving I can eat a load of chips piled with salt and not put on any weight :-)
I took a large stilton to eat during my last 24hr and that did result in some micky-taking but I don't care, it worked http://andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... oise..html

ninjaman

by ninjaman

I often have similar cravings, but it can be tough to differentiate which are from my need for replenishment and which are from my love of things salty.

Ragamuffin

by Ragamuffin

I get those cravings after longer rides as well. But this is probably a sign that you might not be taking enough salt in. Like others have said I would recommend supplementing with electrolyte/salt tablets. Magarita Shot Blocks also work pretty well as they have more salt than the other types of Shot Blocks.

From my experience, headaches after rides usually arise from improper hydration - so likely a deficit in fluids and electrolytes. Since you seem to be taking enough fluids, my guess would be not enough electrolytes. This might sound weird too, but on any super long rides (brevet type) I usually pack/buy jerky, plenty of salt and the protein helps too for such long rides!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Yes, that seems to be the cause. I increased my electrolyte intake, 4 tablets of nuuns over 4-5 25 oz of water. Also replace GU with peanut butter sandwich. Never been better after a long ride.