Getting regular. Let's talk about shitting. Number 2s.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

... aka dropping the kids off at the pool.
... aka taking a conference call.
... aka laying cable.
... aka taking a dump.

In other words, and I'm serious here, I don't want to get into a shit talking thread but I really want to talk about taking a dump.
More specifically: do you have any tried & true methods for ensuring you've taken a full sitting's worth on the toilet before heading out for a (rather long) ride?

A little background:
-When I was young (like, really young, in my teens) I used to run cross country. Getting up at 04:00 to do a 15 mile training run that started at 05:30 was reasonable. Wake up, gather homework and prep school bag for the day, breakfast, do a number 2, dress for the run, run with backpack to school, run with team, change in gym, school, race after school. It was a guaranteed clockwork, and I sort of took it for granted.
-In recent years, post grad-school (the decades are adding up), the machinery was still working fairly clockwork-like. Wake up at 5, breakfast/shower/dump/prep, ride at 6:15 or so. Easy, not even something that I would question.

Then, this year, things have been frustrating on occasion. I'll try - literally, try by sitting on the toilet, maybe try running some water in the faucet, drink some coffee or chew something like toast - to trick the system into flushing it all out. But no, barely anything... and then, I keep going through the routine: change/prep/get out the door and start the ride... and 20 minutes in I'm seeking refuge in the nearest toilet and doing what should have been done before I left the house. Thing is though, this isn't happening all the time. Maybe 1 time out of 7 or 8 morning rides. That still isn't too bad or annoying, but the lack of consistency is frustrating me. Really frustrating. This is especially the case as lately I've been starting timed rides at 5 or 6 and I'll be out there for at least 10-12 hours, or maybe more if I'm taking it easy, on routes that hover around 200mi and have me in very remote locations with few facilities. So, really, all I want is consistency.

Any tips/tricks to solving this dilemma of inconsistency in the rate of digestive processing? Maybe some things I should be paying attention to that I'm overlooking?

Yes, I'm being a bit frank and direct on this subject, and not embarrassed at all to talk about it. Afterall, everyone poops. It isn't something we talk about often, but it's certainly part of the 'training and health' aspect of what we do. I figure that at least if I put this out there and open the question up, some folks here can offer some insights or suggestions on how to solve this dilemma.

Seriously though: thanks, I want this shit solved. :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

AGW

by AGW

Do you take any medications? Any new ones? Barring external factors, the reality is that age comes with changes to your body, and what's been normal for you really has no bearing on the changes. That said, you're still managing to go daily, within an hour of your usual time on your 'off' days, so it's hard to really call this a problem. Wake a little earlier, ride a few minutes later, or do some judicious walking around to stimulate your gut after waking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Not taking any medications, everything has been pretty normal on all fronts.

I'll try walking around the house a bit more, maybe that will work...

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Are you keeping a record of food intake, maybe there's something that the days before have in common, to cause unsatisfactory bowel movement the day after?

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

what's your fibre intake like prend? increased roughage , fibre rich, fruity diet worked for me - regular as clockwork now. Anything in particular changed in your diet over the last year?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I haven't been keeping a strict record of my intakes, just a general idea of things really. Aside from a lactose intolerance (strangely, milk only, but milk/yogurts/other just fine), I have no reactions that I know of to glutens or other allergens. However, as someone suggested over PM, I might want to look into that.

That stated, I have merged into more of a paleo-diet lately, with a decreasing amount of fiber. I was raised eating a lot of rice, and this past year I've been reducing that substantially along with a lot of breads. That may have lead to some inconsistencies, perhaps...

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Finally, a topic I can plunge into!

I'd also agree on increasing leafy greens (the darker, the better (TWSS)), flax and/or chia seeds (my wife puts them in her oatmeal every morning), then maybe some additional morning activity.

I start off my morning (after flicking on the espresso machine to warm up) with ~10 minutes of stretching obliques, hips, hams, glutes, etc. And maybe even a yoga pose or two :shock:

I'm extremely regular on weekdays because I'm much more methodical, whereas weekends I sometimes sleep in a little or skip my morning stretch routine.

addictR1

by addictR1

wow... A riding buddy of mine has the same problem. We`ll go ride and then suddenly he need to poo. Oddly though, after he goes he climbs slower as compared to before.

reducing fiber from you diet does have some impact. Try some orange juice in the morning on empty stomach and it'll help you go. But regardless, taking a good poop can be trained. I train myself to always poop in the morning. I'll go after drinking a glass of warm water in empty stomach.

if you blend your own smoothies... Add kale. It has high fiber that helps too. We've been taking the Amazing Green Grass after meal, once a day and it also helps to go and go very clean too.

Rick

by Rick

1. A cup of strong coffee always seems to accelerate the bodily functions in the morning.
2. I think a big cup of metamucil at night is a good idea whether you really "need" it or not. I drink it pretty regularly just as a hydration drink. Modern diets are generally deficient in fiber, so it gives the fiber, helps hold moisture in the colon for slow rehydration, and makes for good poop!

addictR1

by addictR1

@prendrefeu: you can also check out this Dr. Oz show. he's always talking about poop and i think you will find this informative.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/how-pee- ... -perfectly

shotgun

by shotgun

My movements are regular and I usually sleep before 11pm. However if I deviate from that (not just cause I'm out drinking), and sleep say after midnight, my bowel movements are affected. Case in point 2 weeks ago, 3 hours into a ride I had to drop by a friends house (who I haven't seen in 7 months), pretend to visit him and ask if I can poop in his house.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

Fiber One bars do it for me. I eat one around 3:00, and as soon as I get my daily can of Mt. Dew in me, it's time to sit for a minute.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So it looks like fiber intake is a common thread here. Perhaps on those random days when I'm not getting everything out before the ride I may not have taken in enough fiber into my diet.

also @shotgun :lol: that's a hilarious story!

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

Get a dog. You'll HAVE to walk the little bugger before you start your day and it will help get things moving.
Up at 5 Oatmeal/flax seed/dates/bananas/milk with coffee and a big glass of water, walk the dog for 15 minutes and I'm usually untying my shoes in a panic to get to the throne. Maybe subconsciously I don't want to lose out to Rover :unbelievable:
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I doubled my espresso intake this morning and the movements are a'flowin'!