Rice Cakes?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dvincere

by dvincere

Zakalwe wrote:And when would rice cakes generally be made - minutes before setting out on a 5 hour ride... Or a day or two in advance?

Everyone I know who makes them and doesn't freeze them owns a rice cooker and just throws it on when they start getting ready. If you make them 2-3 days in advanced and let them sit in your refrigerator you'll have crappy dry cakes and I don't know anyone who would enjoy that or has even tried it :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

I often make a batch which lasts for a week and a half (two weekends, when I do long rides) in the fridge.
I put them in a sealed container. There is no noticeable reduction in eating quality and none of them have made me ill.

There can be some condensation in the container. I just wipe that out with a paper towel so it doesn't make the muffins/cakes soggy.

I tried freezing muffins but they come apart when you attempt to eat them after they're thawed. And the texture is funny.

eric

by eric

Last week I made a batch of muffins on thursday. For a double century on saturday I brought four with me and included four in a bag that was brought to the mid way lunch stop. I ate those on the second half.

Rush

by Rush

I'm still loving my little apple pastries. I now bake them in muffin tins as you get more filling for your volume. I added in quinoa for yesterday's ride and that was fantastic.

Thinking about sweet potato and rice filling for the next batch. I might try some Mole sauce as well.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Rush wrote:I'm still loving my little apple pastries.

Do you have a link to the recipe?

Rush

by Rush

I follow the recipe in the Scratch Labs Feed zone portables book but its a fairly generic one. Flour + butter + cinammon + water to make the dough.
Then apples+cinammon+brown sugar+salf+vanilla essense for the filling.

7ducati

by 7ducati

Rush-

I made the 2-bite apple pie last night from the Feedzone Portables book, and I agree, they are fantastic. I, too, made them in a muffin tin, but I haven't taken one on a ride yet. How well do they hold up in a jersey pocket? Do you take them with you out of the fridge, or do you freezer them before taking them on a ride?
2017 Cervélo S3
2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata

eric

by eric

If you freeze them they might not thaw before its time to eat one!

I referigerate the portables I make. If I am going to stop by the car for more food part way through a long ride I put the food in a cooler.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

An hour in a jersey pocket, I've found, thaws most things.