What % of total weekly volume at 95% FTP

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ACDC

by ACDC

Something I've just been thinking over recently, as a general rule what % of total weekly volume should be spent training close to threshold (i.e 2x20 @95% LTRH) inorder to see an increase and also to prevent overuse.

I'm not yet doing steady state 2x20 intervals at or above 95% just yet, but a fair ammount (x3 per wk) of SST intervals 3x20 @ 90-95% LTHR which I'm finding I'm starting to push myself into mid to high zone 4. Also on my 4-6hr LSD rides I sometimes find I am bashing out a lot of time in zone 4. On avg over a 10-15hr week I am spending about 15-20% of my weekly volume within zone 4.

I understand that there will be many factors that could influence this but I'm just looking for a guide line so I don't over cook myself. Thanks for reading and I hope this makes sense :?

boots2000

by boots2000

Sounds like you are not being honest in your training currently.
You are calling your SST- when it is likely already FPT level.
Also you are spending a good amount of time at SST level and higher on your endurance rides.
Question: Is you program self written and administered?
Do you hold yourself to anything?
I would say that intensity training should be about 30% of total volume but you must weigh that with the amount of volume. Lower volume riders may have a higher % of intensity- riders who recover fully may also have a higher %. Milage junkies likely will have a lower %.
I would map out the ACTUAL work you have been doing. Decide if that is already too much. Then decide what you SHOULD be doing- program that in. Program in the amount of recovery that you need to be able to recover and keep improving.
Then let the pieces fall where they fall.
To many riders get caught up in volume numbers and lose track of the actual work and recovery that allows them to improve.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

As mentioned above, something of a sliding scale. If you have 4 hrs a week then you probably can do most if not all at FTP and above. This will then decrease (in terms of percentage of volume) as total volume increase. Recovery is always key to what you can do in terms of intensity volume.

FWIW - at the moment during the week I have about 4hours to train on the bike. All efforts are at FTP or above. Anything else is 50% or below of FTP. Weekends I can manage a couple more hours.

However my focus are for races 1hr or less. So this works well for me, being rather specific to my race demands.

Example week may be:-
Day 1: [4x30sec efforts] x 2
Day 2: 4 x 4 mins
Day 3: 2x20mins
Day 4: Tabata ([20sec On, 10 sec off] x 8) x 2
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: Long slow ride
Day 7: Race/Track session

YMMV.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

barry78

by barry78

Have aquestion here for the more experienced

I have program from my coach and hes me almost avoiding threshold stuff till mid january, im only doing 1 x 20 min ftp effort at the end of 4 hour ride with some low cadence hill stuff and mostly endurance ride
Is this the norm, anyone have any experience with this approach?

devinci

by devinci

sounds like an old school approach (low cadence, endurance miles, etc). But if you can ride outside for long, I dont see what is wrong with it.

I do the complete opposite, I smash myself with anaerobic efforts and MAP micro intervals right now, with some threshold stuff thrown in, but I cant ride outside and I exclusively ride the trainer.

Your model: endurance - threshold - speed
my model: speed - threshold - endurance.

I guess it all depends on where you live and what kind of time you have available for training.

barry78

by barry78

devinci wrote:sounds like an old school approach (low cadence, endurance miles, etc). But if you can ride outside for long, I dont see what is wrong with it.

I do the complete opposite, I smash myself with anaerobic efforts and MAP micro intervals right now, with some threshold stuff thrown in, but I cant ride outside and I exclusively ride the trainer.

Your model: endurance - threshold - speed
my model: speed - threshold - endurance.

I guess it all depends on where you live and what kind of time you have available for training.

this the first week i had the legs left to try nail out the threshold effort at the and put a decent effort into a sprint for last 20 seconds , so something might be working, am only 3 weeks into the program so i ll have to resist the urge to do some threshold stuff on the turbo :? and play the waiting game

viney

by viney

I'm currently doing about 13 to 15 hours a week training and wondering how much time I should be spending doing these FTP & SST intervals.

I started this Trainer Road 20 minute power booster programme but this only give you a weekly average of about 40-45 mins at FTP & about 10-20 mins at SST.

I was thinking that I should spend about 60-90 mins at FTP & about 90-120 mins at SST, maybe that's far too much though?

Are there any thoughts on how much time should be spent?

My goal is to increase the FTP to 285, which currently lies at about 240.

Cheers

Paul

Martin.F

by Martin.F

You should aim for 60 min at threshold every threshold-day, and close to 120 on SST days. I suggest 3-4 days every week

devinci

by devinci

setting a FTP goal based on a specific number can be missleading if you dont reach the goal, you need to keep working and not be disapointed. 45W gain sounds HUGE.

Do you respond well to sweet spot training? No need to waste your time if that sort of training smashes you and leave you drained for days.

viney

by viney

Think you're right 45 watts is a big gain to make and i'm not expecting to make this overnight, but i'll approach it in small chunks at a time of say 5w every 4 weeks and I will adapt my over programme accordingly to try and increase the intensity as I go.

Up until about 1 week ago, I was only performing 2x20min FTP & some V0max intervals into my overall weekly programme, so I think I can make some reasonable improvements just be adding in some additional interval work at FTP & SST per week. I will aim to re-test and bump-up the training every 4 weeks.

I'm obviously going to plateau at some point here, so once I don't gain anything after 4 weeks, i'll go back to the drawing board and review it again.....

erty65

by erty65

Martin.F wrote:You should aim for 60 min at threshold every threshold-day, and close to 120 on SST days. I suggest 3-4 days every week
olympiatoppen.no("Total varighet")

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com