Spinning / Cycle Classes ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gchin954

by gchin954

It's been raining a lot in my region and I haven't been able to do much riding.

What are the thoughts of these classes as opposed to me investing in a bike trainer ?

by Weenie

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I prefer spin classes, especially if you get a guy teaching that rides also. Another advantage is if you attend a class with part of your road group you can push each other harder for more effort. I have a trainer and find it to be boring. There are times that I will push myself on the trainer, but not like someone barking, hold that Cadence, I want 2 turns to the right.

This past winter 3 of us did spin classes 3 days a week, with the few nice cold day rides here in Oregon, I have never come out of winter as strong as this year.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

mentok

by mentok

what are they going to cost you? would the money be better invested in a 2nd hand srm and a mag trainer? if you're only thinking 1 or 2 spin sessions paid pro-rata then no, but if it requires a lengthy gym membership then the srm option could be cost effective. you take the srm back onto the road with you when it stops training which is a massive plus. on the downside, getting yourself to grind yourself into the ground on a trainer in your garage takes a special type of mentality that not all posses - if you don't think that's you then maybe the classes are worth it?

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

If your in the States, most of the bigger gyms have spin classes, I belong to 24 hour fitness and actually have 3 of them near me. I pick the class based on what I need from the class. You can always work harder than the class if you need. Like they say, it is your ride.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100