I'm slow, any recommendations in training plans that worked

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bantamben

by Bantamben

I've been riding about 20-100 miles a week for the past year. I'm tired of being a small fish and the slowest guy in my group of buddies. I'm 36 years old 6'1" about 165lbs I have a gArmin with hr but no powermeter. I have joel friel's cycling bible but wanted to ask If anyone's had success with some training plans that they think really helped. Btw my mhr seems to be about 180 and in a flat out 1 hr time trial effort about 158.
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

Many examples below

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

please, try search!

eric

by eric

Ride more. A max of 100 miles a week is not that much, and 20 miles is essentially zero.

HR has no effect on training programs.

You should re-read Friel. HR doesn't mean anything for your fitness as it varies quite a bit between individuals. But you can use it for training purposes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Oh I understand on hr I just have the numbers as a reference in case anyone had advice. I'm real interested in some personal gains you made and what training program you found really helped /worked

Rick

by Rick

Well, I am not too scientific about it, but simply riding more seems to have miraculous effects. At your stage 150 miles/week would be doable.
And if you ride with people who are faster than you, just keep trying to keep up. When you are on the edge concentrate on staying at the edge without blowing up. You will get faster.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

For a start measuring training load in distance is a furphy. The weekly "mileage brag" is as worthless as Strava times.

Second, the most common mistake is not going hard enough when you need to go hard and not going easy enough when it needs to be easy.

I've said it once and will say it again, Friel is not the best training source for cyclists. Triathletes, sure. Cyclists, no.

Google is your friend.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Yeah thanks for advice but I'm curious what schedule or programs riding that 100-150 miles a week worked for others. Sure I can just go ride but I here alot about junk miles etc.. And with 3 kids and a 50+ hr a week job I'd like to get the best bang for the buck.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Search this forum, plenty o examples of what you seek.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com