Losing weight, getting fit agin

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

eric

by eric

Slick- you need to cut out some calories.

If you consume empty calories like soda or alcohol, you can eliminate those without feeling hungry. In fact sodas and other sugary foods will make you hungrier than you would be without them. I consider diet soda to not be much better than real soda as the fake sugar tricks the brain into a similar response.

Before you eat something ask yourself if you really need it.

You don't need to cut out much in order to loose weight. If you run a deficit of only 500 Calories a day average you will lose a pound of fat a week. I find that to be not too unpleasant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I suggest this-
Keep a daily journal for a week with the following.
1.) Everything that you eat and drink. Both on and off the bike. Including water. Including time of day consumed. quantity, etc.
2) Include training sessions on this journal. Time of day that you trained, duration, intensity, how you felt.
3.) Include any other exercise too.
If you do this completely and honestly it is easy to spot patterns.
Could be too much, too little, wrong foods, incorrect timing, etc.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Here's a pithy little tip to help control things:- Don't drink calories. Eat food, and drink water.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

devinci

by devinci

Tapeworm wrote:Here's a pithy little tip to help control things:- Don't drink calories. Eat food, and drink coffee

corrected that for you

slick1

by slick1

+1 for the coffee. Love the stuff.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

A heinous error on my part! Of course coffee is a key component to any...one who is living.

Eat food, drink water and coffee. Lots of coffee.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Sorry to point out the obvious -- many of the beverages labelled "coffee" by your random corner store do contain said substance only in traces, and with lots of calories added.
Learn to love the black stuff. Less is more.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

eric wrote:Fat vs glycogen burning at different intensities is highly variable between individuals, and also depends on an individuals fitness. The fitter you are the more power you can make without using much glycogen.

Even when riding at higher intensities when you are using glycogen and fat for energy, the kcal to replenish the glycogen after the ride has to come from somewhere. If you don't over eat, some of it comes from stored fat. So an hours intense ride burns more fat than an hours ride in the "fat burning zone".

HRM based calorie counts are completely useless and often read very high. They are for entertainment value only.

If you held a UCI elite license you know how to ride. Just go do it and eat healthy. You'll lose the fat and get fit and have fun.

"entertainment value only".. LOL.. so true.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.