Lemond Revolution trainer and noise level

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bvb45

by Bvb45

I'm almost commited to buying a Lemond Revolution trainer.

I only have one concern left, the noise it makes.

Does any one have one and have you used it in an apartment building?

I'm thinking about using it from 4am-8am in the mornings and hopefully if possible with a window slightly open.

Now, does that make too much noise for waking the neighbours?...Good news I live in the bottom most flat, so noone but the cellar under me.

If I can't do this, I will have to carry the 30pound thingy and the bike 300m to a big local parking lot and just place it there and run on my trainer outside..odd and cold and cumbersome, so I really hope someone can say they can run it in an apartment and not wake the neighbours. Can't train on other times really and Fortius is just not an option anymore.
My Intro, TT bike and Aero/WW Upgrade plan
"A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting."

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

it is LOUD. in our 7000sq ft store, i can hear it very clearly at the other end. every time someone gets on it, i think a semi truck in a low gear is pulling into the lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The park is only 300 meters away? You'll still wake the neighbors ;). I agree with Thisisatest. It is LOUD. That said, it has the best "feel" of any trainer I've tried and that's why I got it. I'm not in an apartment either, otherwise the noise would have been a no go.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Bvb45

by Bvb45

Thx for the answers.

Edit: Depression over not being able to really use the best trainer ever, removed.
"A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting."

Bvb45

by Bvb45

Jeez,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cC0SfWFH1Y

Does there exist any other "direct drive" trainers, ie where you also hook up directly to the cassette?

If so, do they come with a Power Meter accurate to 5% like Lemond?...and are they any good?

CoachFergie

by CoachFergie

I love my LeMond, yes Loud and Great Feel.

Other options are BT-ATS Erg and the new Revbox Drivechainer. Quieter (just, have done decibel testing on all three) but far higher inertia so the road feel is no where near the same as LeMond.
Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Holy cow...that's...loud :shock:

lobular

by lobular

I have been thinking about getting one of these.....but how on earth could that amount of noise not drive you insane whilst training on it??

wilson78

by wilson78

Ah gutted, was looking to get one of these for the winter, but living in a terrace house i think that my neighbours would be around to complain within a matter of minutes. Thats really quite frustrating, but best to find out now rather than after purchase as i hadn't even thought to check the noise assuming that it would be similar to a conventional turbo.
Back to the drawing board.
My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635

Bvb45

by Bvb45

wilson78 wrote:Ah gutted, was looking to get one of these for the winter, but living in a terrace house i think that my neighbours would be around to complain within a matter of minutes. Thats really quite frustrating, but best to find out now rather than after purchase as i hadn't even thought to check the noise assuming that it would be similar to a conventional turbo.
Back to the drawing board.

Yeah same, can't tell ya how much I agree.

lobular, as for riding it, a friend says its really ok with music in your ears when you're on it.

The problem is he adviced me against it because I live in a flat..

I have to settle for Fortius, which means I can't get a decent Power meter training done till spring and Garmin Vector. Not buying a cranky power meter just for using it 10 months. Maybe I'll buy all my neighbours ear plugs for Xmas? :D

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

for simple power measurement, try the Kinetic fluid trainer and their simple cycle computer. it is a basic computer that measures power based on your rear wheel's speed and the known resistance level of their trainer. it's simple and effective. Velonews (i think) tested it versus other power meters and found it to be accurate until you get over 1000(!) watts, where the numbers flatten out a bit.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

It's ok with music on?

So the trainer won't send you deaf, just the volume you'll need the music at to drown it out.

ty-ro

by ty-ro

In the video, it only seems too loud when really grinding. For most tempo or threshold intervals, it probably wouldn't be too bad. Right now I use Inside Ride rollers, which I like a lot, but I'm looking for something to replace my busted trainer for those times when I don't want to worry about keeping my balance...which is like...always. :? :?:

rchung

by rchung

Tinea Pedis wrote:It's ok with music on?

So the trainer won't send you deaf, just the volume you'll need the music at to drown it out.

Pretty much.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3500868

Bvb45

by Bvb45

Oooh, a new trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHN0kzJE508

The grate apparantly lowers the noise, however I bet ya it'll screw up the PPM Powermeter gadget(Ben Grenet fromLM told me that they can't redirect the air flow in any way without screwing up readings) for the LM trainer.

But Crank Power Meter + LM trainer and this should/will work!..Awesome!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com