non-bike cardio that stresses the hamstring the least?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

motorthings

by motorthings

I developed high hamstring tendinopathy mid-late last season and have now been off the bike for 4.5 months trying to let it heal, and working with docs to treat it. now that we finally know what is going on (don't ask me why it took so long), we are going to start prolotherapy+PRP on the proximal hamstring tendon.

The idea of the treatments is to kick the healing response back on in the tendon, since that response is long gone from the initial injury. The doc said not to physically stress the hamstring too much during the treatments (the physiological stress of the healing response is ok, but mechanical stress is not helpful), so I am trying to figure out if there is a best cardio exercise I can do to avoid losing the little bit of fitness I have left at this point, and to make my eventual comeback easier.

I thought maybe an expert here would have a better idea of what kind of cardio (stair stepper, eliptical, etc) would stress the hamstring the least.

:noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Rowing? :noidea:

If that does turn out to be an option, consider it as the best non-bike, non-impact training you can do that will improve your cycling fitness.
Just get your technique correct. Too many people have poor technique in rowing due to inexperience.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

motorthings

by motorthings

i do have access to rowing machines...i'll give it a shot.

thanks for the technique link!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Is swimming an option?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

swimming and rowing are good ideas. i'm not sure how well it will work, but i notice that the eliptical machine doesn't really focus much on my hamstrings. may want to check it out as well.

motorthings

by motorthings

i do like to swim, but the gym we are members of does not have a pool.

the elliptical seems ok on the hamstring, but gets pretty boring. I may have to do circuits of 20 minutes on the elliptical and rowing machine to keep it interesting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skiezo

by skiezo

I would also sugest swimming. Another option as far as water goes is a kick board. Basically a just a foam board to keep your upper body buoyant and just use your legs to kick like you are swimming.
I put it in the corner of the pool so there is no forward movement and kick for a good 1/2 hour.

Skiezo