High triglycerides?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

just had a blood test and came back with high triglycerides. I have not noticed any dip in performance, but if lowered would it increase cycling ablility? How could i lower triglycerides while still eating a high carb diet?

LouisN

by LouisN

I would check with a nutritionist.
WW Member Rustychain on this forum could be of some help.
Maybe that's not a worry so much... :noidea:
Personnally I would check processed food first, with lots of shortening, and trans fat, or animal fat, "hidden" in the ingredients. That includes most energy and protein bars, and many reputed "healthy" foods.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Questions that at first should be dealt with a doctor given the potential serious health effects and then, if suitable, a nutritionist.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

timzcat

by timzcat

NUTS!

High Triglycerides are often caused by high nut consumption, especially nuts like peanuts.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

^ aaaaand there's a good example of why professional medical advice is required.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

serbelo

by serbelo

Train more and reduce weight!

Reduce fat intake!
Cervelo R2.5
Cervelo P2c
Cervelo R3
Parlee Z3
Parlee TT

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

Im 5"9 at 145 ish. It looks like i could cut out some fats. Doctor tells me to cut out all sports drinks and keep riding. I guess all of that skratch labs is getting to store fat or that liter of orange juice i dronk after half my rides. In the end he told me to cut down on sugar and stay away from hydrogenated fats. Excess sugar(carbs) would be stored too hence why i have high triglycerides and another 7 pounds to lose.

LouisN

by LouisN

5'9" , 145 lbs....wanting to lose 7 lbs....:shock: :shock: :shock:

Louis :)

slowrider

by slowrider

Fastest way to drop trigs is to limit carbs (especially processed sugars), add some fatty fish, and drink no alchohol. I recommed a paleo diet with starch from white rice etc.

kode54

by kode54

Brandonnie wrote:Im 5"9 at 145 ish. It looks like i could cut out some fats. Doctor tells me to cut out all sports drinks and keep riding. I guess all of that skratch labs is getting to store fat or that liter of orange juice i dronk after half my rides. In the end he told me to cut down on sugar and stay away from hydrogenated fats. Excess sugar(carbs) would be stored too hence why i have high triglycerides and another 7 pounds to lose.

thought skratch labs had less sugar than most drink mixes. i highly doubt its that. but like LouisN says...5'9" and 145 lbs...
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

slowrider

by slowrider

You might be coming somewhat insulin resistant (high trigs is one sign of that).
IR with high carb diet will be detrimental to health in the long run.
Has happened to some endurance athletes. If you are in the USA.
Get a more advanced NMR lipoprotein test.
It will also give IR score. Fructose cant be directly used as energy by other cells. Only liver can use it.
Liver can only store about 400-600 carb calories. Some of the overflow will be packaged as trigs.
Also Check yout Peter Attias work on ketogenic adaptation.
And listen to Dr thomas dayspring (podcasts and youtube) about lipids.

I am somewhat keto adapted (i dont need more than 100grams of carbs whole day, which i get from sweet potatoes. I follow a paleo diet so i dont eat any processed stuff)
I can do 2 hour rides completely fasted. I havent tried any longer.
I havent bonked for ages. Cause i can run on ketone bodies now as well :). I drink coconut milk and oils for fuel.
I rather do some more varied training now, like barbell weight training and other forms resistance training.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealH

by NealH

I was just going to say that it could be a sign of the onset of insulin resistance especially given that you're eating a lot of carbs. Carbs trigger insulin which controls blood sugar and helps store fat in the proper places (fat cells). If its not doing its job then the storage part doesn't happen so well and your blood fills with fat (triglycerides). Of course there are other reasons for high Triglycerides but its prudent for you to see a medical doctor.