taking a summer break and maintaining fitness

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dvincere

by dvincere

How should one go about this? I'm feeling a little less excited about training everyday and my recovery has been feeling compromised. Honestly, I've been feeling terrible on the bike and my motivation to get on it each day is dropping too. Something isn't right. What's the proper way to break while not letting fitness drop into a deep chasm yet maximizing the recovery of the break?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

For me (<--- probably the most important thing to note) I just get back to riding my bike.

No intervals. No riding in rubbish weather. No 'dragging' myself out of bed for an early morning spin. Ride for when as and as long as I like.

As what I love, more than racing, beating my times or other people's, is just being outside on my bike. Catching up with mates and enjoying everything around me (and a good cafe or two). Given the choice, I'd take a two weeks away with my bike as my version of a 'relaxing holiday'. Others would go to a resort :lol:

If you have a coach hopefully he'll be as understanding as mine. In fact, doing the above came from him. Only ever been in one massive 'low' with the bike, and doing the above fixed it.

Also lost no fitness. The first couple of interval sessions back hurt, but then was back to punching out good power numbers again. And, importantly, loving it.

YMMV, hopefully this helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

YMMV, but it is generally thought that the maximum period that you can do without training and not loose too much fitness is 2 weeks.
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

dvincere

by dvincere

That seems pretty solid. I hit the trails with the CX bike the other day and took today off.
I don't have a coach to annoy with my problems which means I'm neither disappointing anyone nor do I have someone who's been here before to guide me through it. I think just riding when it's pleasant and not doing anything structured may go a long way. Time will tell I suppose.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

How do you guys deal with the ever looming question of when to hang up the racing cleats? I have been racing pretty heavily for the past 11 to 12 years, some years more than others, and just this year I switched for Pro 1-2 level events to Masters 35+ events. I love to compete, but the draw of an ever growing son is having me question if I am doing the right thing by spending so much time on the bike. He has his friends and they have their things, but I cannot help but think I may be trading being good on the bike for being a better dad.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Was in not to similar a state at the beginning of June. As much of it was fatigue both mentally and physically as anything. Took 2 weeks of only fun riding with people slower than me, less than 2 hour rides. Got back to it after and felt refreshed, did a hard week then a taper week then had one of my best results ever.

A break is hugely important, don't feel guilt about it. The first hard efforts after, you will feel like crap, don't fret about it. Your natural pain killers will turn back on after 2 days or so.

Ps its also a great opportunity to lose a kg or 2, I hate starving myself when training. I find it a lot easier when I'm riding easy and metabolism has already been ramped up from early training.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvincere

by dvincere

HUMP DIESEL wrote:How do you guys deal with the ever looming question of when to hang up the racing cleats? I have been racing pretty heavily for the past 11 to 12 years, some years more than others, and just this year I switched for Pro 1-2 level events to Masters 35+ events. I love to compete, but the draw of an ever growing son is having me question if I am doing the right thing by spending so much time on the bike. He has his friends and they have their things, but I cannot help but think I may be trading being good on the bike for being a better dad.

HUMP

Stop when it's no longer fun and fulfilling.