Tapeworm’s Log to Esteemed Masters Mediocrity

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HakeemT

by HakeemT

That's cool; I was simply feeding back what I read in your post re. Tabata and racing simulation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Coming into this season w/ a new baby and being able to pretty much only do workouts on the rollers cause of horrid weather, I found tabata's incredibly useful. Also, because I was on the rollers, the power wasn't as high but used them also for a way of high cadence work too. Even though I've done a lot more training since, I still haven't hit the sub 1 min power numbers on the road that I was hitting after doing those workouts for about 6 weeks. Of course the aerobic engine is much bigger now (LT at 90%+ of VO2 max instead of 80-85%), but for power and race like efforts and kick starting fitness, I found them to work amazingly well.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Solid week of training done:-

Mon: Weights session. Tabata style efforts [20sec effort/10 sec rest x 8], 4 mins rest, repeat.
Tues: 2 x 20mins (erg, TT pos), 240, 237 watts.
Wed: Weights. 1.2hrs easy spin.
Thursday: Conditioning session.
Fri: 20mins easy spin. Massage.
Sat: Big climb, 750m of vertical, absolutely horrible, ramped then levelled, repeat. Avg. 209 watts for 1hr34.
Sun: 2 x 10mins (erg TT pos) effort with 10mins recovery in between, under/over style. 254, 253 watts.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Another solid week in the bank.

Mon: Weights session. Erg TT position Tabata style efforts [20sec effort/10 sec rest x 8], 4 mins rest, repeat. BJJ
Tues: Recovery day, in a big hole.
Wed: Weights. 1.2hrs easy spin.
Thursday: Conditioning session. Included a 10min row on the erg @ 254 watts.
Fri: 1hr on the mtb 179 watt avg,
Sat: 1.5hrs on the mtb 174 watt avg.
Sun: 2 x 10mins (erg TT pos) effort with 10mins recovery in between, under/over style. 261, 255 watts.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Wow, two weeks went fast. Heaps of disruptions, the Mrs away for several days, work trips etc, so lots of improvisations.

Mon: Weights session. Erg TT position Tabata style efforts [20sec effort/10 sec rest x 8], 4 mins rest, repeat. BJJ training.
Tues: 20min row interval - 234 watts.
Wed: Descending intervals - 2min, 1min30sec, 1min, 30sec with 1:1 rest ratio... this sucked. 329, 328, 370, 434 watts.
Thursday: Weights, 3 x 3min intervals.
Fri: Rowing intervals 2x [4x30sec row/30sec rest]
Sat: Rest day.
Sun: 2 x 10mins (erg TT pos) effort with 10mins recovery in between, under/over style. 251, 237 watts.

This is first time watts have decreased in a TT effort in this recent block. Sure sign that I am in the hole a bit (and felt like it too). Next week to be a lot easier.

Mon: Weights session. Erg TT position Tabata style efforts [20sec effort/10 sec rest x 8], 4 mins rest, repeat. BJJ training.
Tues: Rest day.
Wed: Conditioning session.
Thursday: Rest Day.
Fri: Weights (deadlift PB too, 165kgs). 4 x 500m rows. 350, 270, 242, 218 watts. Rest 1min in between efforts.
Sat: Rest day
Sun: 2 x 10mins (erg TT pos) effort with 10mins recovery in between, under/over style. 251, 245 watts.

Power still a little lower than normal - however I have just switched to Osymmetric rings and might be getting funky readings from them though usually this should be inflated from what I have read. RPE and HR would indicate these are as equally hard if not harder than previous efforts (I needed a nap after!) so either I am still fatigued or they are seriously messing with the SRM. FWIW the metrics from the rowing have all been improving at least :D

Hopefully my disc wheel will be here soon and field testing will help to confirm whether readings are off completely or they are reasonably accurate and I'm just soft.

3 weeks till first key event.