Tapeworm’s Log to Esteemed Masters Mediocrity

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Liking this idea of a skinsuit for MTB!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Week 11:

Mon: 1hr easy on the single track
Tues: 1hr ultra early ride to test out lights prior to race. Conditioning. Annnnnnd.... gastro! Curled up in a feverish ball throwing up occasionally.
Wed: Gastro
Thurs: Gastro
Fri: Crawled out of bed. 1 hr of easy dynamic movements, stretching etc.
Sat: Race - 24 hour Team Mtb Race.
Sun: Still riding...
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Week 12:

I didn't bother with a full write up for the 24hr team race, mainly because we a minor list of disasters - namely one rider of our team of 6 crashed, a stick punctured his arm which needed stitches... and later a double round of surgery to clean out the wound. He still managed to finish his lap first though :D Another of our riders got called out to work, returned for a midnight lap and had a double puncture and a chain snap etc etc. I did a double night lap starting at 2am which was going well until the last 3km (of which 2 is downhill FFS) which I was paralysed with cramps for about 15mins.

Mon: Like a hangover but more painful. Still went to BJJ though.
Tues: "Hard recovery" - light row, then about 2hrs of stretching, rolling, steam/cold showers etc.
Wed: Weights, 1x5reps @80% of 1RM
Thurs: Conditioning. 1.5hr massage.
Fri: Rest
Sat: Easy 1.5hrs avg 10watts, + 4x30sec efforts @654, 539, 501, 427. Felt like crap.
Sun: 2hr 54mins @198 watts (~80% of FTP). I was crawling in the front door after this one (literally, cramps just at the end, almost fell off the bike and had to knock on the door). Now 80% of FTP is a massive effort so either 1) I am a hard nut, 2) power meter calibration is off, 3) FTP has raised and not yet reflected in testing (because I haven't done any) 4) a little bit of all of the above.

This week will also be pretty easy after Sunday's effort. I have a "tour" on the weekend, 4km TT, 50km RR on Sat and then a 100km RR on Sun. It will be my first foray into road racing in 4years.

It will hurt.

Can't wait!

Also, TP's point above. Those that read my posts know that I don't put weight loss as the emphasis. It should follow form "naturally". So I started at ~81.5 kgs, currently sitting at ~79.5 kgs. This is the lightest I've been since 2009. 2kilos in 3months. I'll take that.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Tapeworm wrote:1 hr of easy dynamic movements

So, still gastro then?

Excuse the jokes, good luck with the training (and battling against the all dominating Lama in the masters TTs)
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

LOL! When you read it in that context some... unpleasantness comes to mind.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Week 13:

Mon: Rest day
Tues: 1.5hrs Z1 - 108 watts avg.
Wed: 1.5hrs Z1 - 134 watts avg.
Thurs: Mtb ride, single track. 1.2hrs, avg HR 152bpm.
Fri: 10min row (inc 1x30sec effort), stretching, foam rolling etc
Sat: Race day. TT and road race. Report below.
Sun: Sick. Rest day.

Saturday and Sunday was a "tour" of three races, 4km TT (non-tt bike), 50km road race on the Saturday and a 100km on the Sunday. I had decided to do this about 5 days earlier so my prep for a proper race wasn't exactly there, but thought it would be an excellent training opportunity. And I got to do a TT finally, even if it was on the road bike! Entered myself in B grade, hoping I could hold on.

Equipment: CAAD8, 54cm frame, Dura-Ace 7800, some Easton training wheels box rim w/ Conti Gatorskins, SMP composite saddle, and recently changed to 38cm bars with "Lizard Skin" bar tape (which I am now a big fan of, very grippy).

TT: 4km, with a longish downhill start and then a bit of undulation and then slight rise at the end, headwind. Adopted the long sleeve skin suit for this one and had planned to use the new Kask Vertigo Sprinter helmet with the closed vents that I had ordered... but the courier didn't arrive in time so standard helmet used instead. Would have been 5 secs right there :evil:

Time was 6:22 which placed me joint 4th with two others who got the same time. The best time was 5:52 which would would have put this guy in 4th in A grade... oh well. Power: 306 watts avg.

Road race: 50km out and back, headwind out, tailwind back. Undulating terrain with net gain out and net loss back. This is actually my first road race since 2009. I had forgotten how hard road racing can be. I put in a half hearted attack in the first 10kms which was shut down in very rapid order. There were plenty of attacks against the guy in the lead but each time he dragged them back. I was nearly shelled many times, was grovelling a lot for the first half. The return leg was pretty fast and two managed get off the front. The finish was a slight uphill drag which I managed to put in a kick for... and then cramped badly about 50m from the finish line , which was a pity because I was sailing past most of the guys. Cramps are my "you've over cooked it" indicator and I felt like it too. Came in about 16th out of 19 I think, lost 5 places and was 10th on GC.

Avg power 190 watts for 1hr 29mins with new PBs for 1min power - 491 watts, 5min power - 311 watts.

Sun: Woke up with a blocked nose, sore throat and coughing green stuff. Thank you my little petri dishes (aka children). No racing today.

Well good to get a TT done finally and a road race too. I had forgotten some of the finer points of road racing but was remembered quickly though pain enforced learning. Hoping to shake the cold quick before my 10 day "training camp" comes up next week.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Week 14:

Mon: Feeling a bit better from the cold - light weights/stretching/rollering session.
Tues: Rest day.
Wed: Weights + 4x30sec stationary bike - no data.
Thurs: Conditioning. 1hr ride avg 161 watts + 5min climb @ 305 watts.
Fri: Weights. 4 x 1min on the rowing erg, 298, 304, 278, 254 (faded a bit there...).

And here begins 12 days of cycling training in Adelaide. This I'll detail separately.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

So here's the plan for my "training camp" (supposedly trip is to catch up with family, but they don't ride so I don't understand how I am supposed to catch up with them). This will change as trips to the zoo, playgrounds etc pop up but will try and keep to it as best as possible:-

Sat: Long easy ride Z1 + 3 x hill repeats (~30mins) @ 90% - done!
Sun: Long easy ride Z1/2 + 4x30sec intervals - done!
Mon: Long easy ride Z1 + gym work
Tues: Short easy "coffee" ride 1hr max.
Wed: Long ride Z3/4.
Thurs: Long ride Z1 + gym work
Fri: Long easy ride Z1 + 3 x hill repeats (~30mins) @ 90%
Sat: Mega long ride - Z1/2 for as long as I can (target 5hrs)
Sun: Long easy ride Z1 + 3 x hill repeats (~30mins) @ 90%
Mon: Long easy ride Z1/2 + 4x30sec intervals + gym work
Tues: Pain Cave - 90% for as long as I can hold it.
Wed: Short easy coffee ride

Once this is completed it will be a ~week of easy stuff then some decent testing to see where I am at.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Weeks 15/16
Well as always things didn't go quite to plan, but still logged some good rides. One thing that was confirmed is that Adelaide and surrounds has some awesome riding and a "negative", has some awesome bakeries. I deliberately ate very well (often at said bakeries). Given the ramp up in overall volume this was not a time to skimp on calories. Net result :- about ~400grams lighter than when I started, current sitting at 79.3kilos.

Sat: 4hrs01mins in the Adelaide Hills, up Mt Lofty and then into the hills. One climb 33min49sec @ 227 watts and a second 21mins26sec @ 227 watts. 142 Avg for the whole ride.
Sun: 1hr 30sec 138 avg with 2 x[4x30sec efforts] between 638 and 421 watts.
Mon: Gym
Tues Gym (+ plus rowing intervals 4x30sec)
Wed: 2hr 30sec. Tempo ride on the flats with 1 x 5 min effort @ 283 watts and a climb 13mins35sec @270n watts
Thurs: Gym (+ plus rowing intervals 4x30sec) / 1hr 24min, climb for 43:18 @227 watts.
Fri: Gym (+ plus rowing intervals 4x30sec)
Sat: 2hr50mins - bloody cold (~5 deg) and howling winds, most miserable ride in a long while. 157 watts avg.
Sun: Rest
Mon: Gym (+ plus rowing intervals 4x30sec)
Tues: Gym (+ plus rowing intervals 4x30sec)
Wed: Rest/travel.

Thurs: 1hr 50min 182 watts with 2x climbs 11:08 @278 (new PB) and 14:21 @ 252. Interesting to note the different time on the same climb with only ~26 watts difference.
Fri: Easy ride on the "new" TT rig, with 2 x 30sec efforts - 607 572 seated.

Hopefully a 20km TT tomorrow - will be my de-facto ~20min power test.

darkblue08

by darkblue08

How did your test go? Did you see the improvements you where looking for?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

To a certain point yes, improvements, despite my inconsistent training were showing through.

However, now due to a "perfect storm" of issues, I have shelved the riding at this stage (new baby on the way, new work role, closure of local velodrome, bloody cold weather etc etc), hopefully resuming in 2014... maybe. I still ride as a commute but structured riding is out the window for the time being.

Still training hard, just not in cycling ;)

Aussiebullet

by Aussiebullet

That's a shame, I was looking forward to meeting you at nationals.

Still family comes first so no shame in racing taking a back seat, I wish you all the best mate!

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

Shame- I enjoyed reading about your progress. Hopefully next year!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Congrats on the baby, you seem to have your priorities right.
(Trying to get a good season in myself, before the next -- hopefully!)