What do you eat after hard ride?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

limba

by limba

Ok so you just did a hard race or ride and you're tired.What should you eat/drink?

Superlite

by Superlite

Whatever that tastes good! If you just had a race, and on the way back home just go by a taco bell, wendys, or whatever your hungry for. Diet after a race isn't nearly as important as before, thats what you should be concerned about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gentri

by gentri

Eat a meal that is high in protein. After a workout or race, your muscles need the proper nutrients.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Just some simple "light digestible" food. my body cant cope well with the others at that time :? Like sandwiches. and i drink lots of energy drinks.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Ivan

by Ivan

First minutes after a race or a hard training: lots of energy drink and a banana. After an hour or so: pasta or other food with lots of carbohydrates, also a fair amount of meat and again energy drink or water. Drinking enough is very important after a race or hard training.

Cheers
Ivan

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Right after a race or hard ride: a carb-based drink (usually one water bottle, about 100 calories). After a race, I drink this while cooling down.

Shortly thereafter, I have some recovery drink. Right now, I'm back to SmartFuel's BioFix, as that seems to work really well for me.

gentri

by gentri

After a training session, I drink a fluids with a moderate amount of sodium and pottasium. On the phase that I know that I am satisfied with my muscles I add a few grams of protein to my drink to avoid too much muscle (catabolic) breakdown.

mises

by mises

I drink chocolate milk. Mixed properly it is very close to the usually recommended 4:1 ratio of carb to protein. I use lactose free, fat free milk, mostly because my body doesn't produce any lactase any more, but it also keeps a lot longer in the refrig and doesn't cause mucous problems. And I don't like a lot of fat post ride (except for sour cream & onion potato chips if it's hot outside).

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I eat carbs mainly.

A mars bar or bannana staight after the race so I have the energy to get home ( tend to bonk on the way home), pasta for dinner.

Fat slows the digestive process so I try to minimise my intake. But I try to eat energy as I race Sat and Sun if I can.

Brian

Franzam

by Franzam

when You drove short distances (>2h ) with a very high heartrate eat carbohydrates, like noodles or potatos.
when you drove long distances (4 and more hours ) eat more protein, like
a good steak with potatos.
For the energie supply at long distances your body use the protein of your muscles too.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Take in mind that your body can only handle 3 zips of water 100 / 150 ml. per 15 minutes. The rest of the drink "yust goes down the drain" :wink:
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Superlite

by Superlite

I didn't know that. I usually drink one 19 oz bottle every 45 min - 60 min in the winter, and one every 30-40 min in the summer. With that number I never have to stop to "do the dew" :wink:

Cyco

by Cyco

For you to piss it, it must first be absorbed. The absorption rates you mentioned are for water, sports drinks absorb through the gut much faster, so are better at rehydrating and providing calories. Any consumption in excess of absorption rate will just sit in the gut till absorbed.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I sweat alot more than that on humid days, but I drink alot more too. Will that absorbtion rate differ per body?

Brian

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Cyco wrote:For you to piss it, it must first be absorbed. The absorption rates you mentioned are for water, sports drinks absorb through the gut much faster, so are better at rehydrating and providing calories. Any consumption in excess of absorption rate will just sit in the gut till absorbed.

The fluid "keeping" the spotdrinks complexes is still water. The extra's are absorbed fast, The fluid takes a bit longer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com