What do you eat after hard ride?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

willf03

by willf03

After a hard ride or race it is really important to get something into your body within 30min. Of course, a drink with a ratio of 4 carbs:1protein is optimal. Hammergel makes really good products for recovery. Drinks are best right away because they will be absorbed quickest, but it is necessary to follow up with a balanced (not hamburgers or tacobell, superlight!) meal of some type of meat (preferably something lean) for protein, carbs (bread, potatoes, rice, etc.) to replenish gycogen stores, and veggies and greens to boost hematocrit levels. Just my $.02...

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

If in doubt, consult a pro. Take a look at http://www.itsmillartime.com/files/features.htm

Focusing on High GI immediately after the ride seems to be a recurring theme.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OLver

by OLver

gentri wrote:Eat a meal that is high in protein. After a workout or race, your muscles need the proper nutrients.

wrong.
the FIRST thing you need is simple sugar like glucose.
proteins will reduce carbs' absorption.

after a hard training, take food high in carb. some hours ago, it's time to take proteins

gentri

by gentri

OLver wrote:
gentri wrote:Eat a meal that is high in protein. After a workout or race, your muscles need the proper nutrients.

wrong.

after a hard training, take food high in carb. some hours ago, it's time to take proteins

Take it easy :D . I was talking about workouts and races and the effect of it to your muscles.

tfstrum

by tfstrum

A little fruit juice for a fructose boost and some peanuts after a ride usually holds me over until the next real meal.
Without a wrong, there wouldn't be a right...

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

gentri wrote:
OLver wrote:

wrong.

Take it easy :D . I was talking about workouts and races and the effect of it to your muscles.

Gentri: OLver is right about taking sugars first.

But what happens with those proteins while you haven't refilled your sugars is that it isn't going into your muscles but as fat into your fatcells...

So take first some sugars (simple carbohydrates) and then an protein meale with complex carbohydrates.

gentri

by gentri

This is what i said.
i didn't say that protein is the first thing that i eat. the thread talks about, what do you eat after a hard ride not what do you eat first. :lol:
I know that you are suppose to ingest simple sugars.

hope this helps! :lol:

Effects of a carbohydrate-protein beverage on cycling endurance and muscle damage.

Saunders MJ, Kane MD, Todd MK.

School of Kinesiology and Recreation Studies, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA 22807, USA.

INTRODUCTION: The purpose of this study was to determine whether endurance cycling performance and postexercise muscle damage were altered when consuming a carbohydrate and protein beverage (CHO+P; 7.3% and 1.8% concentrations) versus a carbohydrate-only (CHO; 7.3%) beverage.
CONCLUSION: A carbohydrate beverage with additional protein calories produced significant improvements in time to fatigue and reductions in muscle damage in endurance athletes. Further research is necessary to determine whether these effects were the result of higher total caloric content of the CHO+P beverage or due to specific protein-mediated mechanisms.

I don't believe in word of mouth. :lol: