HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:38 pm 
in the industry

John LMFAO!

Post subject:
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:57 am 

Thanks for all of the responses guys. Skyleth...great suggestions, your post even got me to start a grocery list with lots of the things you suggested on it. Also got me hungry :P Lots of those posts made me laugh pretty damned hard too. I wonder just how many samples I can scam in a Whole Foods, I'll have to give it a try soon.
Yeah, I moved out from Texas to Washington DC for the job I got, and it's been interesting for sure. Crashed with a friend for four days, and I've been living in a condo with hardly a stick of furniture and my life in suitcases...the only reason I got this was because my landlady was awesome, wasn't able to let me move into the townhouse I'll be sharing with two other people, so she offered to let me stay here for a couple of weeks for free. I'll be moving into the townhouse tomorrow night...thank goodness. It'll be nice to be in a place where I know I'll be for more than a couple of weeks and I'm not imposing on anyone. I'm starting to froth at the mouth for my bikes though. Last night I started staring at the carbon sole of one of my road shoes because that's the only bike-related thing I have right now besides my helmet.
I'll be in a good financial place soon though as soon as the paychecks start coming in. Basically all I'll have to pay for is rent, I don't have a car (don't need one at all in DC), don't have a mobile phone (never have), no other real expenses. I can pour some of that extra money into bike stuff...so much stuff I want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:48 am 

Bruiser wrote:
Soy Milk can keep for up to a month but it still sells cheap just before the Expiry Date

I remember reading in one of the posts on here about soy milk and estrogen. Ever since then I have laid off of it. I use rice milk now.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... t=soy+milk

Just figured I would bring it back to attention since it was brought up in the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:10 am 

This is true.

I must admit, my graduate school days were not poor. I managed to maximize the benefits from a facilities closing, retention bonus, unemployment insurance and severance, to be in grad school and collecting more money than when I was working. I was in school in Philadelphia, but looking to move back to New York. While I had cash, I would often spend weekends up here. I had discovered the Millennium Hilton Hotel (by the WTC) offered nice weekend discounts and it was a very cool hotel. However, my new job search took longer than I thought and I found myself in a position where I needed to cut back a bit -- no more Millennium Hilton Weekends -- and $$$ room bar tab bills from my friends.

On the last weekend I felt I could afford to stay there, I decided to keep my room key. I had noticed that to gain entry into its health club all one had to do was flash a key. I thought this might come in handy.

Back in Philadelphia, I began to realize my lifestyle did need to change that much. OK, I can't stay at the Millennium Hilton, but with the key to flash I can still use all its facilities -- gym, pool, sauna, showers, free fruit and bottled water... As for a place to stay, #2 on my list above, at which I was generally successful. So, nothing really changed. Saturday evening, drive to New York, stay overnight. Sunday, lounge around the pool at the Millennium Hilton, work out a bit, shower then meet friends for a late brunch or early dinner.

I did this almost every weekend for months. Doormen knew me. One day I was between sets working out in the gym and the attendant, a Russian kid about 20, came up to me. Busted, I thought! "Can I ask you a question?" Sure. "What is it that you do that you are so fortunate to be able to afford this Hotel every weekend?" I am very fortunate, I responded.

Spokey, don't slum. Drag institutions down to your level. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:53 am 

magnificent work John, absolutely superb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:09 am 

John, great stories. great advice.

Spokey...DC is a killer bike town. Lots of great group rides out there, even a daily one at hains point at noon (not positive on the time or the meeting place). Anyhow, back to topic: PIZZA MART. Adams Morgan. $3.50 a slice, and it's enough to feed a small family....tasty too, but only if purchased between 3-4am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:49 am 

You guys crack me up. I'm working right in between Dupont Circle and Georgetown, which is a damned nice area, so I'm trying to get the feel for the area and places to scam. My office is in the same building as the European Union headquarters, and guess what John? Right next door to the Ritz-Carlton. Methinks me shall organize plans...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:40 am 
in the industry

John rocks. :beerchug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:40 pm 

John979 wrote:
Don't slum. Drag institutions down to your level. Good luck.

what a great piece of advice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:34 pm 

Haha, john, that is awesome!

Spooky, glad I could help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:23 pm 

TSMonk wrote:
Bruiser wrote:
Soy Milk can keep for up to a month but it still sells cheap just before the Expiry Date

I remember reading in one of the posts on here about soy milk and estrogen. Ever since then I have laid off of it. I use rice milk now.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... t=soy+milk

Just figured I would bring it back to attention since it was brought up in the thread.

Actually, this is HIGHLY disputed, and there is no reason to lay off of soy milk for fear of becoming a woman. Most mainstream literature on the subject has shown a very small relationship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:48 am 

Here is one I witnessed today.

I live in Manhattan and take a ferry to my office in Weehawken, NJ. The ferry provides free bus service to the terminal and one of its cross-town routes is on 50th Street, not far from my apartment.

So, I am on the bus this morning and at 8th Avenue this well-dressed but exotic, Norma Desmond looking woman in her late 50s gets on the bus through the rear door. The bus pulls away and the woman walks up to the front and asks the bus driver to drop her off at the cruise line terminal. With this request the bus driver gets indignant, telling her the bus is for ferry passengers only, and that she needs to get off and use a city bus. The women says she can't afford the bus, but this explanation falls on deaf ears and the woman is thrown off the bus. We get to the West Side and I look ahead to the cruise line terminal and see looming the Queen Mary 2. I guess the reason the exotic woman couldn't afford a city bus is because she spent all her money on the QM2 ticket.

Obviously, I applaud the women's effort for a free ride. Her only mistake was announcing her destination too soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:14 am 

Now that y'all have me keeping my eye out for random acts of spontaneous bummery, I'm seeing it everywhere. If I see something particularly hilarious, I'll let you know.

The road bike should be here by this Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:56 pm 

I agree with the beans if you can get them they provide a good source of protein, carbs and fiber along with essential vitamins and minerals. Even though the brocolli is a good source of fiber they lack in carbohydrates and not sure how expensive they are.

Potatoes, beans, rice and some form of meat if you can. Stay away from Ramaan etc and other processed foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:45 pm 

996vtwin wrote:
I agree with the beans if you can get them they provide a good source of protein, carbs and fiber along with essential vitamins and minerals. Even though the brocolli is a good source of fiber they lack in carbohydrates and not sure how expensive they are.

Potatoes, beans, rice and some form of meat if you can. Stay away from Ramaan etc and other processed foods.

Agreed,i always eat baked bean in tomato and bread for breakfast daily.Kinda simple and cheaper too if u were to ask me.. :)

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:45 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next