Can useful info or LT be derived from VO2 max test?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Found an interesting little piece floating around the internet about the old Rabo now Blanco boys....
http://sportsexerciseengineering.com/20 ... -cyclists/
protocol... Each rider would start at 150watts and ramp their power by 30 watts every 3 minutes so you would see 150,180,210,240,270 etc until the rider usually reached 4mmol on their lactate levels. When the rider has reached 4mmol then the ramp change to 15 watts every 1 minute until failure, so it would look like 240, 270, 300, 315, 330, 345 FAILURE @ 355 for 30 seconds.The figure they finish at is their VO2 max Ramp test number.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ok, bit of an update.... I retested working mainly around LT and cadence strategies. First test in late March I had done very little aerobic work so far in the season. Last time I was only working at a VO2 max of 57 when I hit LT and 165 bpm. After 10 hours/week for 2 months (not much but not nothing) I'm now able to ride at a VO2 max of 65 and heart rate of 175 at LT which shows the build out of the aerobic system.

Now, we didn't retest VO2max so working off numbers from last time. Trainer said that physiologically, I'm near my limits. Of course I can lose a bit of weight, get more endurance, develop specific muscle strength etc etc.

Interestingly I produced better numbers at a cadence of 90 rather than my preferred 95-100.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com