Reverse periodization (with work out plans)

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Snabb

by Snabb

:thumbup:
Ride lots!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

KWalker wrote:...If you want further references feel free to contact some of the Wattage list coaches, of whom I've had many in depth conversations with and would gladly offer personal endorsements...

From Wattage Groups:-
"Like many, I think some of your ideas have merit for further exploration, but you present them as factual or proven on the basis of a few possible successes rather than any kind of study. That is misleading to these "new people" you are attempting to help find the way.

I think it's great that you've found a method that works for you and a way to integrate a powermeter into that equation. I also think it's great that some have found some success with your prescribed methods. But that does not constitute evidence of efficacy. The PMC is not a be-all-end-all, but it has sound science behind it as well as a considerable amount of coaching expertise/experience (I am not a contributor...just an unknowing guinea pig)."

--
Chris Cleeland

Sounds like an endorsement to me.

This thread is about reverse periodization which, as a concept, I have tried explaining, but none of you seem to understand. This will be my last post in this thread since no one is choosing to listen to being able to distinguish between true reverse periodization and the idea of doing intervals on the trainer in the winter.

Maybe because you haven't explained it very well?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Personal attacks not required.

Here are two that were publicly posted to the forum in addition to the 5 emails I received last week off list thanking me for contributions:

IMHO KWalker is very bright and substantiates his views. I don't specifically recall him demeaning anyone on this Forum.

Personally, I would regret him abandoning this Forum because he has much to offer.

I value this Forum especially for the times that posters make me think of something in a different way or cause me to consider a matter that I otherwise might not have thought of. Some of Karsten's post have exemplified those points for me.

Best,
Bill Black

B McG,
Hello there, I have been following your posts with interest now for some time now and find them relevant and thought provoking. I have been meaning to mail you a for a little while now as you were talking about a white paper very recently which really got my interest and I would like to provide some feedback on.
I have been involvved in cycling since the late eighties and remember when miles were the gauge to success, then in early nineties it was the HRM and levels as espoused by Peter Keen, (coach to Chris Boardman) and in the noughties it became the powermeter.
Will we look back in 10 to 15 years and see the power as being as crude as miles or HR when we have simple accessible testing at home of endocrine levels/blood chemistry/glycogen levels and better understanding of psychological factors?
On your most recent topic I have seen one coach in my history destroy all of his stable of riders in one season in a spectacular fashion with burnout that resulted in them all retiring, hardly a coincidence. This coach espoused base and HARD work and fed into the need of the athletes to push themselves but results never transpired.
I have been on the list a few years now but do not post as the internet world is a small place IME but find myself agreeing with the timbre of your postings in that forum B McG.
Keep me thinking!!
Best (name redacted because he asked me not to post it)

Off thread, I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate that you stick up for what you have found to work. When I first joined the forum I got pretty bogged down in the "SST/Tempo" approach because it seemed to be what all these smart people where talking about. (This was at the same time as John979 seemed to be posting everywhere as well)

Anyways your posts and off board message to me (which I at the time didn't realize you could do and had assumed it had been intended for the board) convinced me to do some more of my own research, looking at journal articles and various training methodologies. I changed my methodology a bit, incoroporating a lot more L2 work than I was in the past (about half - 2/3 of my time spent on the bike is L2)

Thanks for reminding me that you shouldn't just listen to everyone, and going against the grain when you believe the grain to be incorrect.

--Jordan Oroshiba

In general, I think I explained it clearly enough. If they were to google what Tim Kerrison said about RP and cycling it would be almost identical. They could also read about swim training from the 90's-present and come up with the same conclusion, which is really where I got my only knowledge about the subject.

I can't do much more than that as my internet forum posting time isn't too high.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Snabb

by Snabb

So I am going for the reversed periodization this year as well :wink:
Ride lots!