Curious, how do you racers deal with disappointment

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Courant, I've come very late in to cycling however in a lot of ways I don't regret spending my teenage/early 20's doing precisely as you and your captain did.

Young athletes have it very tough in that respect. Remembering to go out and live a little is incredibly important. As amazing as cycling is, it's nowhere near as cool as the other thing called 'life'!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

"That's bike racing"
This is not a sport where the strongest rider or the smartest rider wins every time (Often they do when things go right). Shit happens, as long as you're not hurt, go out and do it again. Maybe you'll get lucky. All you can do is put yourself in the best position with the best fitness that you can so that if an opportunity arises you can take advantage of it.
If you think this is your last possible year of competitive racing, you're wrong. Amateur racing is a life-long thing. Even the pro's are competitive until their 40's.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Sh1t does happen though, trained like a mad man last winter and v.early season for the national student TT champs which are early april, so no real chance to build form through racing before hand. If you're lucky 4 weeks of the season prior to the races.
1st race 10 mile TT, Got unlucky with the weather turning and ruining my chances. 2nd race 25mile TT raging thunderstorm for everybody, so atl east that was fair, warmed up well felt strong wanting to get my own back on the weather. Rolled over to the start got 100m from the start line only to feel my front tub puncture. No time to get a spare and get back to the start for my start time. DNS see you next year. Its tough and you have to have a sense of humour about it other wise you;ll drive yourself mad! Was so gutted i even felt it was necessary to apologise to my coach for wasting his time.
Luckily hes a good bloke, and turned up at my house the next week and dragged me out to two more local races to make me get back out, race and get over it. I find that is the best thing to do really, get out and get into the racing again, and maybe chat to someone who races but was separate from the incident in question, as they'll probably be quite a good at giving you some perspective again.

I hope you get back into the racing and have some better experiences soon!

petepeterson

by petepeterson

rule #5 son

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

The simple answer is go race again the next weekend. I have a friend that rides with us who does not have a large engine, but he has the desire to do better and wants to at least find out what he is good at. My advice to him is to go out and try things in the races, sooner or later you figure out what works, if it does not work this weekend, there is always another race.

Now at a level where you may be getting paid to race, results mean a lot more, since it is your livelyhood.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

Foo

by Foo

You swallow a cup of concrete and harden up because the chances of the same thing happening again is very high. :wink:

Just make sure you learnt something from it and try not to put yourself in that predicament again. :idea:

Foo
Last edited by Foo on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
So long as you have tried your best, then you should have no regrets!

edesigner

by edesigner

Crashes and sickness suck plain and simple. You can partially control one but not the other.

In that race did you guys have a plan? One thing for sure if you are organized is stay out of the death zone. Map the route and either plan to be in the front helping control the pace or the back out of trouble. No man's land in the peloton is an expensive lesson waiting to happen.

kiserkm

by kiserkm

You never fail. You only learn lessons. keep pedaling!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

edesigner wrote:
In that race did you guys have a plan?

i've come to learn.....NEVER HAVE A PLAN. it never pans out and you become dissapointed lol

Dimitri

by Dimitri

nathanong87 wrote:
edesigner wrote:
In that race did you guys have a plan?

i've come to learn.....NEVER HAVE A PLAN. it never pans out and you become dissapointed lol

incorrect. well at least this never works for me.

you do need to be flexible and sometimes your plan wont suit on the day depending on any number of variables, like who turns up to race, the wind, etc.

but having a plan at least gives you a starting point to work your strategy from.

this weekend I had a plan. and it worked. I started my sprint a 1 straight early. hit the last corner at 60 with a huge gap and held it. completely planned and work exactly as I had visualized it :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/86909031