Training progression

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Super Brad

by Super Brad

Hi All,

I'm after some advice from a few of the more experienced and knowledgeable members of this forum.

My situation is this, I'm currently riding between 10-15 hours a week regularly, which is great and is seeing some good improvements. I do no specific training at all, I just ride for the enjoyment of being on the bike.
I mix road and MTB, but generally ride more on the road these days.
Here is where my question lies, I'm a reasonably competent MTB'er and usually run top 15-20 in most events within my state.
Ideally, I'd love someone to help me understand my most efficient way to bridge the gap to the top ten guys?

I'm happy to link up my Strava profile if anyone wants to look specifically at what i do.

Whilst my question is very open, I'm hoping someone might be inclined to help me with a structure or a few ideas to keep my riding improving.

Brad

devinci

by devinci

im a MTB racer as well.

Whilst bridging to the top guys implies more then fitness, here is what I think of it:

*workouts are not exclusive*

-You could try to improve your FTP with specific L4 workouts (2x20, 3x15, over/under, 5x5 with short rests). Some may argue a high FTP isnt necessary for MTB racing, I disagree. A high FTP means you have more room to push your L6 and short L5 power up and you have a bigger engine to recover from short hard efforts. It might help staying strong towards the end of the race as well.

-You need a good anaerobic repeatability. I personnaly train with short, sharp efforts with short rests (30/30, 20/40, 15/15, 20/10). I dont aim for absurdly high anaerobic power but really focus on repeatability. From race file analysis, at my weight, the high power efforts are often in the 500-600W range with some short bursts in the 700W range.

Technical skill and pacing are other components that would help you achieve your goal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Super Brad

by Super Brad

Thanks very much Devinci,

This is the type of info i was hoping I'd get.
Would you throw your L4 workouts amongst another ride, or leave those efforts as a stand alone training day?

I have a reasonable idea of what i should be doing, its just how to set up my riding week which i have not quite grasped!

Appreciate your time

Brad

devinci

by devinci

depends, if you can ride year round and can stand decent weekly volume, I'd throw the 2x20 within a 2-3h ride.

What you can do also is nail your 2x20 in the first hour and spend another hour or two practicing technical skills on the trails.