coaching program?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pinky

by pinky

So for the upcoming road season I've decided the best thing I can do for myself is get a coach. That said, except for some minimal and relatively unenjoyable time with a CTS guy, I have no experience with coaches, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a program. If it helps I'm in Massachusetts.

TIA,
jw

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTC

by JTC

I was about to post the same question. I am looking to have a program set up by someone and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I can't see spending $150 a month on a coach, but less than $100 for a 12 week program is more my speed. I was thinking of purchasing a program from Cyclesmart or one of the others. Is it worth it? Anyone have any input or suggestions?

Tippster

by Tippster

have either of you guys either got a heart rate monitor or a power meter.

if you have then an on-line coach may be the way to go.

personally, I just spend the cash on a handful of training books.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

Tippster wrote:personally, I just spend the cash on a handful of training books.

I feel the same(but I do have a coach), but what I have learnt is, there is a lot of people out there that just need a coach, they just need someone to say something so he/she feels they must do it. Ive know people that studied Sport Med and still need someone to tell them what to do.

John979

by John979

zakeen wrote:
Tippster wrote:personally, I just spend the cash on a handful of training books.

I feel the same(but I do have a coach), but what I have learnt is, there is a lot of people out there that just need a coach, they just need someone to say something so he/she feels they must do it. Ive know people that studied Sport Med and still need someone to tell them what to do.

Coaches can provide motivation, even to the motivated. In addition, a good coach (where to find one)? Can save years of self-teaching -- I wish I knew what I knew know 5-6 years ago.

OTOH, many books are primarily belief-based, without a strong foundation in evidence; this includes some of the more famous ones, two of which provided me several years of misguided training. Therefore, instead of books, I recommend an online education. There are several forums in which some premier evidenced-based coaches and sports scientists contribute. Over time, one case piece together a sound training approach based upon the forefront in sports science.motivation
John979

JTC

by JTC

I have a HRM and a SRM. There is a lot of info out there and I feel like an inteligent enough person to make a program for myself, but having the time is another issue. I also would be always questioning whether the program I made up is really the best for me (specially being new to power use). I would like an online coach that can put together a winter and race season program with my input that I can simply follow and only modify each year as needed. Are there any that you guys can recommend?

John979

by John979

JTC wrote:I have a HRM and a SRM. There is a lot of info out there and I feel like an inteligent enough person to make a program for myself, but having the time is another issue. I also would be always questioning whether the program I made up is really the best for me (specially being new to power use). I would like an online coach that can put together a winter and race season program with my input that I can simply follow and only modify each year as needed. Are there any that you guys can recommend?

Ric Stern.
John979

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Finally found my way to the training part of WW. :oops:

John979 wrote:
zakeen wrote:I feel the same(but I do have a coach), but what I have learnt is, there is a lot of people out there that just need a coach, they just need someone to say something so he/she feels they must do it. Ive know people that studied Sport Med and still need someone to tell them what to do.

Coaches can provide motivation, even to the motivated. In addition, a good coach (where to find one)? Can save years of self-teaching -- I wish I knew what I knew know 5-6 years ago.

This is so true! I didn't grow up in a sports family and only started very actively at a bit older age, and went in competition at the age of 22. The first year was really bad, though tests told me I was talented enough to perform better in races... thus I decided to find a coach, a good one.

Ever since everything went better and better. It saves me a lot of time, not only to find out what is best for me, but also to make my program. I contact him daily and share my opinions, doubts,... He does lactic tests with me, goes with me to training seminars if I ask him, selections the literature that is interesting. And I always discuss his decisions, because I want to know the reasons and the scientific background of the training methods.
Really, going to find a personal coach is one of the best decisions I made in cycling (apart from doing competition and joining WW :lol: ).

Skyleth

by Skyleth

Pinky, Adam and the guys at Cycle-Smart are great, they're based in Massachusetts too: http://www.cycle-smart.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com