Seat Height - Based on recent fitting

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

G6612

by G6612

I just recently got a bike fit and to be honest everything feels good. Comfortable on the bike, rotation of the pedals feels smooth. My only issue is that he lowered my seat and the first ride my legs were very tired. Appeared to happen quickly and I really was tired by the end of the ride. Now my question is should I give it time for this to improve and allow my legs to get adjusted to this new position or is my seat now to low? Appreciate some input on this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

It's not uncommon that you need 3-6 months to fully adjust to slight changes in position. You will use different muscles and also use the muscles differently, so it's normal to feel slightly less powerful and get tired a bit quicker.

Give it some time, and if you still have issues in the next few weeks, contact the fitter again. The vast majority of fitters include follow-ups for just these types of reasons.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

GT56

by GT56

audiojan wrote:It's not uncommon that you need 3-6 months to fully adjust to slight changes in position. You will use different muscles and also use the muscles differently, so it's normal to feel slightly less powerful and get tired a bit quicker.

Give it some time, and if you still have issues in the next few weeks, contact the fitter again. The vast majority of fitters include follow-ups for just these types of reasons.

Yeah, but in the meantime check your saddle height against this formula:

inseam * 0.885 = centre of bottom bracket to top of saddle measured along the seattube

it won't be the first time that fit results were misread or mis-applied

cheers

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

GT56 wrote:
audiojan wrote:It's not uncommon that you need 3-6 months to fully adjust to slight changes in position. You will use different muscles and also use the muscles differently, so it's normal to feel slightly less powerful and get tired a bit quicker.

Yeah, but in the meantime check your saddle height against this formula:

inseam * 0.885 = centre of bottom bracket to top of saddle measured along the seattube

it won't be the first time that fit results were misread or mis-applied

cheers

+1
My fit was done without the above calculation. When I measured my inseam and calculated what my seat height "should be" using the above, the actual seat height obtained during the fit matched almost exactly. It's a good way to to keep the fit numbers "honest". I think I used .883 - the "Greg LeMond" ratio...

Using the above formula is your current seat height close?

hasbeen

by hasbeen

be very cautious of formulas. While that formula can help it should only be used to set a benchmark. For example, if you run low stack pedals, rearward cleat position, have long femurs requiring more setback, or have hamstring issues then that number will have to change accordingly.
just sayin.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

Ozrider

by Ozrider

+1 @ hasbeen
A ratio is a good starting point, but the type of pedals and cleats you use, as well as the thickness of he sole of your shoes will make a difference to your measurements and saddle height.
When I had a bikefit done the pedal type was taken into account, and the fitter measured the sole height with calipers to get the right saddle height taking these factors into account.
Some shoe brands even do Speeday specific shoes, which have a very low stack height.

I agred that you need some time to adapt to a fit, and if big changes are made to saddle height or setback it is sometimes necessary to do this in stages to prevent injury.

Hope your fit issues are resolved
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

motorthings

by motorthings

and don't forget to consider how tall/smushy your saddle is...when I switch from my toupe pro to my 5" tall springed and gel-filled cruiser saddle, my leg extension changes drastically. :wink:

G6612

by G6612

I feel very comfortable on the bike. My big concern is that I have ridden all summer change my seat height a little bit and it feels as if I have no miles on the bike. Legs were beat!! I think I will give it some time and let me legs get adjusted to the new position.

artray

by artray

If you don't feel like your getting any benefit then go back to your old saddle height and try changing more slowly and see if it works . Some times it can be hard for your body to adapt and can cause other issues.
Go slow and Low.

GT56

by GT56

G6612 wrote:I feel very comfortable on the bike. My big concern is that I have ridden all summer change my seat height a little bit and it feels as if I have no miles on the bike. Legs were beat!! I think I will give it some time and let me legs get adjusted to the new position.

did you calculate and measure ?

just curious to see what the outcome is

txs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

juanacity

by juanacity

I'm no expert, but I've recently become a fan of more rearward cleat placement and lower saddle height. If the fitting changed your other positions much (saddle setback etc.) it might not just be a simple saddle height issue that you are adjusting too. Anyways, I would try to give the new position some time or try a slightly more intermediate height before just going back to your original.

I'll also echo the words of caution about blindly following formulas. I've been reading Steve Hogg's website and he always rails against following formulas. Its a little annoying at times, because his message can come across as "bike fit is so complicated and nuanced you should never try to position yourself and that's why you need a pro bike fitter" but, he also has a lot of experience and insight.