Help with tweaking my training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

yeah that might be a bit too much.

YMMV but you chould be at 85-90% at the end of the first effort, say, after 15min. Obviously your HR will rise faster during the second effort. Just dont kill them too hard, otherwise your power is droping and the workout is not as good.

Training with power, you realize many steady efforts can be divided in 3 as far as perceived feels. First 1/3 feels ok, doable, bit hard, nothing more, second 1/3 feels harder and like a challenge, last 1/3 feels HARD and you need to focus to finish the effort.

Riding on a trainer by feel, try to keep a steady cadence/gear and after 5min or whenever you see your cadence is lifting up or easier to sustaine, add a resistance level or shift a gear to compensate trainer warm up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

welkman

by welkman

Well my first week of following the suggested pattern is going ok but I though I would share with you a funny from last night's interval session:

School open evening so I need to setup my stand at 1530 and I am done by 1600; show doesnt start untill 1730 so I took my bike. I get all lycra clad and put a pump, some levers and two tubes in my pockets then proceed to do my 2x20 intervals. Upon getting back to the car I realise my keys have fallen out half way around the ride :twisted: I am now faced with walking into a hall of students and parents wearing a lycra onesie! Fortunatley I found my keys about ten mins from where I parked up; god that could have been embarrising :lol:

On another note quarq or powertap?

Cheers,

James

devinci

by devinci

regarding a powermeter, do your own research would be my advice.

Personnaly, I prefer a crank based PM over a hub based one. With a crank base PM, you can race and have your racing wheels. I love my wired SRM and I also love my MTB quarq

claude274

by claude274

Je vois que je ne suis pas le seul à demander tes conseils Vincent! :up:

devinci

by devinci

claude274 wrote:Je vois que je ne suis pas le seul à demander tes conseils Vincent! :up:

:D

:beerchug:

welkman

by welkman

Well all seems to be going well with the plan. I have dropped the running from the schedule and moved the 2*20 intervals indoors. I am getting about 11 hrs a week on the bike at the moment. Focus is still the same TT and now 4th cat circuit racing with my first race in 3 weeks. I am trying to loose the last few kilos to get towards my target weight. Question is should I add anything to my schedule or change anything now?

Mon: Moderate commute 1hr -1hr 15
Tues: moderate commute 1 hr plus 2*20 interval session on the trainer at home 1hr
Weds: moderate commute
Thus: moderate commute 1 hr plus 2*20 interval session on the trainer at home 1hr
Fri: Hard Commute
Sat: rest
Sun: long ride (45 mins from house to meet the club, hard, the 3- 4 hrs club ride (easy with some efforts on climbs), 45 mins hard ride home).

Sunday may have a 50 mile or 60 mile race effort ride instead.

Cheers for the help :D