Periodization and northern climates

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

I agree on the trainer recc's.

Same thing here, I live in a snowy place where its almost impossible to ride on the road, and if possible, its pretty dangerous.

I sit on the trainer for 6 days as well from november to march. I pretty much hit the intensity at that moment: anaerobic intensity, threshold, tempo and vo2max.

I dont mind it, its an efficient workout. I will get a garage setup soon so I can ride the trainer with an opened door during fall, fresh air, rain, nice!

Another thing I do during winter is riding the snowshoeing trails on my old MTB, good to keep the skills sharp and I can log a few 4 hours ride during the winter if not too cold.

KWalker

by KWalker

I also second not following Friels unless you're really novice. I think his whole scheme is really too narrowly focused even for newer riders. I don't see the point in arriving at C or B races without the necessary sharpness to actually do more than pack ride or get dropped. A newer rider has so much to learn that I feel that they are better off spending the winter working on some really basic fitness elements and then transition into a period where they can, yes, group ride and race often enough to really hone their skills. So much time in his program is spent working up to 6 qualities at once and pretending that you can just learn every single skill from every instance in these convoluted macro plans. Its helpful to plan, but a simple block method is much easier to apply and understand.

I identify B and C races don't get me wrong, but I don't only have 1 A race and think most riders really shouldn't unless they're super specialized, very experience, or in contention for some kind of title event. Your local regional masters 40+ cat 3/4 b crit championship does not count for this.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OJ

by OJ

XC skiing, trainer and/or rollers, and maybe some social sports.

For most guys periodization is a good idea, but I think base should be little bit higher intensities than the low intensity base that is traditionally prescribed. In colder/northern climates long slow base is even tougher with even less daylight and colder weather and snow, and it's just pretty tough to put in the regular 4-5 hour training sessions.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;