HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:23 pm 

Hi!
I thought that I would share my own plan for the off season build up. The reason for this is to hopefully get some good input from you ww's and also to keep myself motivated :twisted:

First some background info
29yo
178cm
68kgs
2-3 years of racing experience, mostly cx racing.

I'm a med student so I like to have a somewhat scientific approach to my training. Earlier this year I stumbled upon this study from the Univesity of Lillehammer in Norway.
I found the results really interesting and started to design a winter training schedule in my head based on the concept of block periodization.

My idea is to cut back on one of the "easy" weeks compared to the study, making a 3-week block consisting of 1 "hard" week and 2 "easy" weeks.
Hard weeks consisting of 4-5 high intensity interval sessions, easy weeks only 1 but with as much z1-2 training as possible.
There will be different focus on each block, something like: VO2max/VO2max/FTP and then repeat the 9 week cycle (maybe I'll throw in some anaerobic work during vo2max weeks).
I will also try to add some gym sessions to this. Once a week I will perform heavy/explosive lifting at the gym, maybe twice a week during the easy weeks if there is time.

I've come up with a test protocol that will be performed prior and after the "intervention" to see if I've made any results. It's not at all final but my idea looks something like this:
warmup - 1min all out - 10m cool down - 5 min all out - 10m cdown - 20m all out - cdown.
I know that I will probably not hit PR's on the 5 and 20mins but it should be OK for comparing before and after data? Of course I will try to make the tests be as similar as possible concerning caloric intake before and during the test, time of day, etc.

Most of the hard stuff will be performed on the trainer with my stages power meter as guidance so I'll be able to adjust the intensity along the way if needed. The z1-2 stuff is mainly extra long school commutes.

Since cyclocross season is upon us I'm planning to start in december, after the swedish national cross series are over and done.
The reason I'm posting this already is to get some ideas and input from experienced forum members. Does this sound crazy? Am I doing to need more/less rest? Will I be able to keep motivation? :beerchug:

Here's some of my numbers from 2 months with a power meter, unfortunately only one road race included and no real maximum efforts in the 15m+ range.
5s: 1298w
1m: 610w
5m: 360w
20m: 283w

I hope all this nonsense is somewhat understandable, if not then dont hesitate to ask! :smartass: :welcome:

Last edited by olebole on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:32 pm 

You can read all the texts on Training and end up not do any training or riding. Complete waste of time and a way to habituate bad habits. Keep it simple and find what works for you. Many pages of advice have bee produced on this very board. Totally rubbish. You could eaither spend the time reading and trying to decipher what the author means, or be actually doing it.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:32 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:42 am 

Or you can, like in my case, read a lot of texts on training, be inspired and end up doing more training and riding. I guess we're all different in that aspect.
Off course this plan will not be as static as it looks. I know that life (kids, school, illness and so on) will get in the way and I'll have to skip sessions. That's why I like to have a framework to stick to, to make it easier to get back after absence.
If you look at this training plan its actually really simple: 1 week hard, 2 weeks easy. No fixed days at all since I never really know when I have the extra time for a quick session.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:23 am 
Formerly known as wassertreter

Interesting approach, just make sure not to miss the point in time when the gains of the hard weeks get smaller, so you can change the programming. You are speaking of a program for winter while the study lasted 12 weeks. Personally I would probably try to move to longer intervals (often called "FTP" type) after 8-12 weeks, trying to extend the time you can hold a certain power. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:10 am 

That is a really good point and I will keep it in mind. Swedish winter is dark and long so my guess that the program will last about 18 weeks.
If I will be able to keep up that is :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:40 pm 

would love to hear feed back on this after your 12 weeks is up!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:33 pm 

I will absolutely do a follow up. I will also try to add some reports during the training period!

Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:33 pm