Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:55 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 pm
Posts: 126
Location: Ontario, Canada
My Edge 500 seems to be near death and I've been thinking of getting an Edge 520. They are about $400 here in Canada for the non-bundle version. I notice that they are cheaper on Wiggle and Sigma Sport (about $280 at Sigma Sport UK after currency conversion). I was under the impression that Garmin keeps a tight rein on their device prices, similar to what Apple does with their iGadgets.

Are the 520s sold by Wiggle and Sigma Sport refurbished models? Am I just getting lucky and the pound to Canadian dollar conversion rate is good right now? Is there duty on importing cycling computers to Canada?

Thanks.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:58 am
Posts: 406
Cheapest UK site I've found is Evans which is where I bought mine shipped to Australia: https://www.evanscycles.com/garmin-edge-520-EV250237

It was legit, no funny business. The exchange rate is great at the moment which is why anything from the UK is cheap for buyers pretty much everywhere else.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:12 pm
Posts: 53
Got a 520 from Canyon as they where dong a deal on them at the time (it was about 12 quid cheaper than the Wiggle price). The main players in the UK are Wiggle/CRC/Ribble/Evans with other sites such as Sigma Sport and Merlin worth a look.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:08 am
Posts: 370
Location: San Diego Ca USA
I got the 520 a while back, its nicer than the 500 but one of the main things I was looking forward to was the Live Strava Segment Integration. It has that but it really does not work well at all most of the time, so don't count on it.

_________________
BMC TMR01 --> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131523&hilit=tmr01


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Posts: 859
#stravaisntracing

_________________
Using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:58 am
Posts: 406
Oh yeah, i did mean to mention that the only real difference between the 510 and 520 is a slight performance improvement (movement through menus and screens is fractionally smoother) and that you can use the Connect IQ apps. The Connect IQ apps are what sold it for me, combined with the fact that my 510 is beaten up from crashes and the screen is heavily scratched from swiping in dirty MTB gloves. Not sure that I'll ever bother to use the improved mapping functions.

If you don't care about IQ apps and you can find a good price, i think the 510 is still a pretty good option.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 pm
Posts: 126
Location: Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the Evans Cycle tip. Unfortunately Canada Post will probably be going out on strike on Monday, so I might hold off on ordering the 520 until that's settled.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Posts: 592
Location: Loveland, CO
I have the 510 with the touch screen. The touch screen is very slow to respond. Garmin probably looked for the cheapest screen they could find. Unfortunately the slow and unresponsive screen detracts from the overall user experience. I think I'd rather have the 520 with the numerous buttons than a 510 with a slow screen. If implemented well a touch screen is awesome.

There's some rumors of a new Garmin with a touch-capacitive (like Apple) screen. You might want to hold out a bit.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 pm
Posts: 126
Location: Ontario, Canada
pdlpsher1 wrote:
I have the 510 with the touch screen. The touch screen is very slow to respond. Garmin probably looked for the cheapest screen they could find. Unfortunately the slow and unresponsive screen detracts from the overall user experience. I think I'd rather have the 520 with the numerous buttons than a 510 with a slow screen. If implemented well a touch screen is awesome.

There's some rumors of a new Garmin with a touch-capacitive (like Apple) screen. You might want to hold out a bit.


Yeah, the Edge 820 that's rumoured to be coming out soon. I keep checking Garmin's website, but so far nothing. And I suppose if it does come out it might lead to a price drop on the 520 if I opt for that.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Posts: 592
Location: Loveland, CO
jspaceman wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
I have the 510 with the touch screen. The touch screen is very slow to respond. Garmin probably looked for the cheapest screen they could find. Unfortunately the slow and unresponsive screen detracts from the overall user experience. I think I'd rather have the 520 with the numerous buttons than a 510 with a slow screen. If implemented well a touch screen is awesome.

There's some rumors of a new Garmin with a touch-capacitive (like Apple) screen. You might want to hold out a bit.


Yeah, the Edge 820 that's rumoured to be coming out soon. I keep checking Garmin's website, but so far nothing. And I suppose if it does come out it might lead to a price drop on the 520 if I opt for that.


Don't bet on the price drop of the 520. I don't think historically this has happened with Garmin products. Right now the 520 is selling great and I see little reason for Garmin to drop their prices.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:45 pm
Posts: 3
I always use the latest generation.
I used the 510. I have long been satisfied with it.
But I changed to 520 before three months. The reactivity is much better.
Recently I heard rumors about 820
I will change to 820.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:51 pm
Posts: 174
jspaceman wrote:
Thanks for the Evans Cycle tip. Unfortunately Canada Post will probably be going out on strike on Monday, so I might hold off on ordering the 520 until that's settled.

I don't think evans will use Canada Post. I'm trying to remember as I did order my 520 from them... but I'm almost sure it was DHL (so guaranteed to get taxes)

_________________
Team Cannondale/ABC Cycles


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 pm
Posts: 126
Location: Ontario, Canada
wheelzqc wrote:
jspaceman wrote:
Thanks for the Evans Cycle tip. Unfortunately Canada Post will probably be going out on strike on Monday, so I might hold off on ordering the 520 until that's settled.

I don't think evans will use Canada Post. I'm trying to remember as I did order my 520 from them... but I'm almost sure it was DHL (so guaranteed to get taxes)


I ended up ordering it from Evans and the only shipping option I got was free international shipping. No tracking number. I'm assuming it's sent via Royal Mail, who then hand it off to Canada Post.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. thinking of Felt AR5

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

addictR1

19

1931

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:39 am

addictR1 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Garmin Edge 510

in For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13

KWalker

0

290

Sun May 22, 2016 9:42 pm

KWalker View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Anyone using the Garmin Edge 25?

in Cycle Chat

burglarboycie

11

679

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Devon View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Garmin Edge 510 needs repair

in Cycle Chat

nismosr

10

1160

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 am

shotgun View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Garmin Edge Mount

in Cycle Chat

addictR1

4

301

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:09 pm

WheresWaldo View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited